New guy from western Missouri

redmech

Hey guys, I go by redmech. I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 15 years, all of my working life. I've been a knife fanatic ever since I can remember. And about a year or so a go, I started learning and trying to make my own knives. I have a Grizzly 2 x 72 belt grinder, a tabletop drill press, and some other stuff to help layout, mark, and measure stuff. I'd like to purchase a heat treat oven and a electro etcher in the next few months.

The really great thing about being new to this, is its easy right now to make each knife nicer than the last. My goal is to make each knife, as nice as I can possibly make it. I have two full time makers that have been very instrumental in helping me out with all of my questions, and have been fortunate enough to get to hang out with one of them in their shop, bad part is, he is still about 2 and 1/2 hours away.

Here are a couple pics of the last two knives I have made. I am also trying to improve my leatherwork along the way.

In this pic, the Nessmuk knife in the center with the stabilized spalted Maple Burl with the pommel plate, is one I made.

I look forward to hanging around the knifemaking part of this site, alot.

Welcome! It looks like you're a fan of Iz Turley's. I remember when he was getting started a few years back. If he's one of the makers helping you, you are in good hands.

He is my biggest mentor in this craft. Has become a good friend and a great teacher. I own a few of his blades, and his style sorta shows up in my work. I'm a big fan of his work, and he is always helpful to answer my elementary questions.

Back