New guy from Kansas

flyingjon

Hi all! Jonathan here and I decided to join Mainly for the wealth of info and experience I find here. I'm 20 yrs old and live in the farm my grandpa built and now we do custom silage harvesting locally. I live west of dodge city about 20 miles. I have made my own grinder (KMG clone) and have ground out about 15 knives out of scrap iron and just recently finished my first real knife. It's a drop point hunter with about 3 1/4 inch blade. Now I'm getting some 52100 in and going to try my hand at making my mom a kitchen knife or two! Please give me any pointers you know of for grinding kitchen knives or grinding in general. Thanks!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415996997.676597.jpg

Hey Jon,
Looks like you are on the right track! I would love to see some more detailed pictures of this knife.
I am twice your age and just started making knives also. I wish I would have started 20 years ago!
- Jason

Thanks for the tip and comments guys! Jason, I have several pics but they aren't high quality by any means. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416000785.451677.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416000827.821847.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416000847.020108.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416000880.055557.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416000893.891443.jpg

Welcome to KD!

Like your knife, looks good. On your next one round the handle and bolster outer edges a bit more. ()

Will look a little nicer and fit the hand better.

Thanks for the tip! I also realized that with no distal taper I should probly drill some big holes in the tang because it's awful heavy and a tad out of balance you might say.

Welcome to Knife Dogs. The only tip I have is to join this organization. You will have access to some very good people and truly talented makers.

http://kansasknives.org/

DeMo
Hello Jonathan. Welcome to the forums. This is a fantastic place to learn and get advice from others.

Definitely check out the site DeMo posted. Joining would be great but if you want you can contact Steve Culver on the site via email and try to come to our next meet up on Jan 10th. It is going to be held in Meriden Ks. You don't have to join to go to the meet. Just have to let Steve know your coming. Hope to see you there.

John from Kansas City.

Thanks john! The more I read about this art of knife making the less I know! I met Harvey king at a show in garden city a year ago and I love his knives!

Back