New guy from Jacksonville, FL

ta2dgiants

Hi knifedogs,
My name is Patrick aka Ta2dGiant.
I am new to knife making and bought
a Grizzly 1015 to try and give it a shot.
My biggest question right now is how
does an individual grind a knife like an EK Commando shown here. I did find a dual grinder set up someone had posted on Youtube. However, I think after a couple of attempts of freehand grinding I understand why very few individuals produce this style.
c6b8a835695a26d95ef4b71d9d4b102a.jpg

You don't need one of those two wheel grinders. It can be done with your grizz, watch the heat build up on that single speed machine and use fresh belts!
You just need some time grinding Scandi grinds to make an EK type dagger. It takes a little practice.

The reasons only a few make them is that it's a specialized fighting knife. It basically sucks and any other task other than killing people or opening crates and ammo boxes.

Great knife for its purpose, just very specialized. i suggest you look up Mora, Laplander & Scindi knives, and make a few to then do it on both sides.

EK made these during WWII because he could pump them out with a cord wrap or scale handle to provide as many soldiers as possible with the weapons they needed at the time.

Welcome to the pound, Patrick.
I agree with Laurence. It takes time and lots of practice but if you work at it for awhile you'll learn to grind that style of knife. That grinder is nice but not neccessary.

Back