New guy from Houston, TX

baksilum

Hello everyone,

Ive been collecting knives for about 6-7 years now and just finally decided hell, I might as well try to make them. I met with a knifemaker here in Houston and I'm hoping to start learning how to use a grinder and do even bevels and all the fun stuff I read about you guys doing on the forums. I am a total FNG when it comes to power tools but I'm really excited to get started.

My main hobby besides knives and guns is Martial Arts, I travel to Japan every year for about a month or so to receive lessons with my teachers over there.

Thus my main interest is in the more tactical/self-defense kind of knives but I also have recently fallen in love with Bowies.

Furthermore the system I study makes extensive use of Katana, kodachi as well as Yari and Naginata. Really interesting stuff. It's mainly from the Kukishinden-Ryu. Which was an interesting family martial art known for their battlefield era techniques as well as their naval capabilities. Depending on whose side they were on, they were an actual navy to some, or pirates to others! haha.

One of my teachers in Japan is a sword collector himself and Ive had the honor to see some the Japanese swords, spears, naginatas, daggers. up close. One of the swords i held was 800 years old. Katana weren't around at that time, thus it's known as a tachi. Which is the predecessor of the Katana. Not a lot of people are aware of the differences, but they do exist.

I've taken a look in the sword section and holy cow. Some you of you gents make me really jealous with your skills.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

Maybe one day, when I learn to forge I can display some work and get some helpful critique.

Welcome from Cypress. What Houston maker have you met with?

I've been looking to meet up with local makers to learn more, since I'm new myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to knifedogs Baksilum. There are a number of makers on here that would be happy to help you get started. Warning, its addicting.

Back