New Grinder

jleiwig

Well given the way things have been going lately with big money household emergencies (dryer/water heater/car), a NWG build or KMG clone build were out of the picture for quite some time until I build the emergency kitty back up to where it should be. It's so bad, I've even put my NWG plans and the tracking/drive wheels up on ebay just to resist the temptation. :eek:

I happened to be perusing the good old intarwebbie this AM and came upon www.SearsOutlet.com

Lo and behold, a store near me had the 2x42 grinder for $63 bucks and change. Sure it's listed as new/remanufactured, but for that price I hope to at least make enough blades to save up for a decent grinder. Anyway..Hopefully they have it ready, and I can pick it up after work this evening. 2thumbs

Other than the pyroceram platen from Tracy, and removing the guards. What else can I do to make it serviceable until I can afford a "real" grinder or at least a clone?

Has anyone considered putting this kit on the grinder? I had a lathe with this motor set up and it was pretty powerful for it's size.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html

It's a variable speed motor kit with motor and controller for $99.95. The shaft is 14mm and I believe I've read that the shaft on the sears grinder is 1/2", so I would have to possibly drill out the sears drive wheel at 9/16" for the 14 mm shaft if it's even possible.

It states to have a 980-3450 rpm range without the pulleys, but I'm not sure what that would convert into SFPM.

I'm not too worried about losing the disc side and actually plan on removing it immediately since I already have a 12" disc sander.

I think this upgrade is definitely a possiblity and for a little over $160 I'd have a variable speed 2x42 grinder. Technically just $60 bucks if I sell the beaumont wheels and the plans that are on the evilbay.

Just something I'm wondering about at this point. I'll know more once I get the grinder in. Sure I can't do much in the way of hollow grinds, but I think it would be great to get started on, and I'm actually kind of excited.

Sorry for rambling on though! Caffiene hasn't worked this morning!:D

Good for you ! It's always good to make lemonade , when life hands you lemons . I use the 2x 42 now also . I have to because of neighborhood issues . I'm big on hand work anyway . I'm actually working on putting up a WIP , and one of the reasons is to show you can still make knives with it . Good knives , even Highend knives . All I did was remove the guard . I don't even use the disk , but I gotta get one of those platens , thats the worst part of the machine . Good Luck , Bill

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a downer for a little bit, but I think I've made the best of the situation.

I can't wait to see the WIP! 2thumbs

Good for you ! It's always good to make lemonade , when life hands you lemons . I use the 2x 42 now also . I have to because of neighborhood issues . I'm big on hand work anyway . I'm actually working on putting up a WIP , and one of the reasons is to show you can still make knives with it . Good knives , even Highend knives . All I did was remove the guard . I don't even use the disk , but I gotta get one of those platens , thats the worst part of the machine . Good Luck , Bill

I've been using a Sears 2 x 42 for a year now. I took off the guard, cut away part of the upper guard to get access to the smaller wheel, and epoxied a flat piece of granet tile to the platten, and all of that helped, but the single best change was to switch to the 3M trizact belts in the courser grits. It's still fast and slippery at the finishing grits, but really handles well for blade shaping. Good luck with yours.

Dick

I cant give anything on the 2x42 as far as performance, but I did start out with a 4x36, it cost me about $100 on sale. I can say that anything is better than nothing, and even when you get your 2x72, the smaller machine will still see use, mine does even after I finished my NWG. I use mine for handle shaping and other various things that aluminum oxide belts can handle... you wont be disappointed, and from what I have read a sears 2x42 is actually a really good machine. I do agree that the variable set up you showed would not produce enough torque, just get the 2x42 and take it easy to start, you will be fine... and get some decent belts, after you have made a few and offered em up, have at that NWG, or who knows, the "Mystery Grinder" that Tracy is working on may be available and a better choice.

I hear you on the hard times, a lot of people seem to be having a hard time keeping things together these days.

I think it's great you're not letting it stop you from making your knives. The Sears grinder will get you by until you can upgrade. I used a 1x30 for a long time, it was slow but I got by. Good luck.

Larry

I'm confused as to why you all are saying that motor won't have enough torque. It's a DC motor, so torque is continuous across the rpm range, and it's a 1/2 horse compared to the 1/3 horse for the craftsman motor. How do you know it won't have enough torque?

You will have plenty of torque. I have built my own grinders for 32 years. I have one in my shop that is a half horse with a DC motor and controller. Even at low RPM's it will rip your arm off if you get it caught. I've heard this bull about grinding with 3 or 4 horse power motors is the only way to go. You are grinding a very small area on the grinder whether it is hollow or flat grinding. Anybody willing to try slowing down one of the grinders I have with a DC motor is welcome too try.

I'm confused as to why you all are saying that motor won't have enough torque. It's a DC motor, so torque is continuous across the rpm range, and it's a 1/2 horse compared to the 1/3 horse for the craftsman motor. How do you know it won't have enough torque?

ooops ... For some reason I was thinking the 2x42 was a 3/4 hp machine... sorry, you are correct the 1/2 hp dc motor will provide more torque...

ooops ... For some reason I was thinking the 2x42 was a 3/4 hp machine... sorry, you are correct the 1/2 hp dc motor will provide more torque...

The old three wheel model that they no longer seel did have the 3/4 hp machine, but the current version only has 1/3 hp.

Back