New grinder build

Looks great! I did the GIB route, but I have to say making the grinder was as much fun as making a knife. You should have a good sense of accomplishment! I really like your base. I just bolted mine on a counter top and I wish it were a few inches lower.

Nice job looks like you took your time and thought it out well. I have been slowly collecting the parts to build one. I just ordered my pillow blocks from Tracy, I was looking at the way you have spaced your pillow blocks out. Is there a bennefit to increasing the space between them? I was just thinking of bolting them at each side of the 4" square pipe. I like your motor setup also what size motor did you go with. I have been holding off on a motor I would like to go with a VFD but saving up for it is not going to well (teen daughters or expensive). My plane was to let my knives pay for this build but orders are starting to come in and my little 1" x 30" is just slow.

That looks great, hopefully I'll be building one in the near future. I like the rolling work station and motor placement!

I got sent a few of these pictures earlier. It's a great looking build with a couple nice mods here and there and cool cart to boot.

Nice job looks like you took your time and thought it out well. I have been slowly collecting the parts to build one. I just ordered my pillow blocks from Tracy, I was looking at the way you have spaced your pillow blocks out. Is there a bennefit to increasing the space between them? I was just thinking of bolting them at each side of the 4" square pipe. I like your motor setup also what size motor did you go with. I have been holding off on a motor I would like to go with a VFD but saving up for it is not going to well (teen daughters or expensive). My plane was to let my knives pay for this build but orders are starting to come in and my little 1" x 30" is just slow.

Not really sure about the benifit of spacing out the pillow blocks, but my thinking was to not have them too close together, also as you can see, my 5/8 shaft is longer than required, that is for future placement of a 9" disk, at the drive wheel, which I think the pillow block placement will compliment.

I went with a Baldor 1hp, mainly because I found it on crags list for 40.00. It is 110/220 switchable, but running on 110v right now till I find someone that can wire the motor for 220v. I would also like to go with a vfd, but as long as it runs the way it does, (excellent, by the way), I will probably leave it as is.

The motor placement went underneath because I didnt want it in the middle of my work space on my cart, as it turns out, I really like it out of the way like that.

I am fairly new to knife making, just started with basic tools Oct. of "09". Found this forum and the plans for the NWG. Been wanting one ever sense, I'm not selling any knives yet, nor do I have any orders for any, but this Grinder, I HAD TO HAVE!, so here it is. Now to put it into operation.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

That was a great find on the motor. I started making knives around the same time you did, I did not plan to sell any it just kind of happened. I don't make much but get to practice for free and have a little left over for a few parts here and there.
I'm sure you will enjoy it you done good

I was looking at the way you have spaced your pillow blocks out. Is there a bennefit to increasing the space between them? I was just thinking of bolting them at each side of the 4" square pipe.

The farther apart the pillow blocks are, the more stable the drive shaft will be and the less chance of there being any vibration at high speed due to the shaft, key stock or pulleys being slightly out of balance. (out of balance like a car tire and wheel might be)....if there is any vibration...the wider stance of the pillow blocks will help dampen the vibrations...

The farther apart the pillow blocks are, the more stable the drive shaft will be and the less chance of there being any vibration at high speed due to the shaft, key stock or pulleys being slightly out of balance. (out of balance like a car tire and wheel might be)....if there is any vibration...the wider stance of the pillow blocks will help dampen the vibrations...

zbq, Thanks i understand what your saying

Back