New Grinder and Working On My First knife

Randy Lucius

Just starting out and making my first knife. No shop so I'm using the garage. I was using a Harbor Freight 1x30 to profile the blanks. Saw very quickly that it wasn't going to work for me when it came time to grind the bevels. Heard about the No Weld Grinder so I ordered the plans and most of the parts from USA Knifemaker. Studied the plans while I waited on the material. I think it came nice considering that I've never seen a 2x72 in person before I built mine.

grinder1_zpsjybdpljn.jpg

Made a few modifications to the plans. Built a rolling table so I could move it outside.

I had a bad bearing so when I changed it I spaced the bearings out a little farther.

Modified the flat platen so it tilts.

Did this grind with a jig that I saw on YouTube.

Bought a Bubble Jig from Mr. Fred. He's been fantastic to deal with and his product works as advertised. I did one practice on a piece of mild steel and then
switched over to one of my blanks. I have ZERO prior experience in freehand grinding a blade and this is my first try.

Working alone and trying to figure everything out it seems at times that I would take one step forward and two steps back.
Thankfully there are great forums like Knifedogs to find answers Thanks Boss!!

Really nice build.
I am happy for you.
Cool. I hope you have fun with it.
t

I just built one for myself a few short months ago. After two years of using crummy tools, the difference with my new grinder is truly like night and day. I like the modifications you made with yours, especially the tilting platen. Great work on the grinder and good luck on your knife making adventures.

You sure did a good job with the grinder, and the bevels look MUCH better than my first bevels did! Congrats.

Ken H>

Back