New from SE Wisconsin with a couple of questions

Livnoutdoorsxd9

I was browsing my regular firearms forum and found a link to knifekits.com. We have a couple of knife makers over there so I took a look. Seems like a hobby I could really get into (I'm a tinker-er by nature). I'm thinking for my first knife I want to do a full tang blade without bolsters and once I get comfortable shaping handles I'll step up to one with bolsters. Are the blades on knifekits.com a good place to start or is there a better supplier out there? Also, as far as the handle, what thickness should I go for with the scales? I see 1/4" is about as thick as scales are offered over there without going to a block. Any suggestions on a forgiving/ easy to work material for the handle? Thanks!

Welcome aboard.
Knifekits.com is a great way to start if you want a pre-finished blade. There are also makers on this site that may sell you a blade if your looking for something a little more elaborate.

.250 to .375 is a good place to start for scale thickness and corby bolts and epoxy are the most reliable way to attach the scales.

I would first visit USA Knifemakers Supply from the link at the top of this forum for all your supplies.
Also, if you look in the New to Knifemaking forum there is a DVD passaround that I started with basic knife construction by Daryl Ralph.

As always, there is no better way to get info than to ask the members here. Attend a knife show whenever possible, there is a great one in Oct in Janesville, Wi. The Badger Knife club.

Steve Janik

Welcome from central Wisconsin! Steve pretty well nailed it.

There are other retailers similar to knifekits.com that sell the same blades and stuff, just use google and compare prices.

All I can add is go for it and don't be shy about asking questions :)

Back