New from NY

Sebspeed

Hello all, I'm new to the hobby. I find it rewarding to make pieces of metal useful and good looking.

My first knife was this small whittler I made for my son from a lawn mower blade and a seasoned branch from the backyard.

9ddf4f23.jpg

fb62da3d.jpg

I'm currently working on number 2 and 3. Number 2 will be a paring knife for my mother, she challenged me with replicating her Cutco paring knife. I'm using 1/16" 440C, hardened and tempered to 58hrc for that one.

Number 3 is this, I don't really know what to call it, I'm thinking of it as a skinning knife. For my Dad. Again 440C, 5/32" thick, hardened and tempered to 58hrc. Will be polished with blue G10 scales and brass pins.

Only problem is, I hardened it before drilling the pin holes. Doh!!

55ccbcb7.jpg

af6b2821.jpg

3b470773.jpg

9f057e64.jpg

Welcome to Knife Dogs!

Look around and you'll find tutorials, the New Knifemaker section and Shop Talk have a lot of information as well.

BC

Hello all, I'm new to the hobby. I find it rewarding to make pieces of metal useful and good looking.

My first knife was this small whittler I made for my son from a lawn mower blade and a seasoned branch from the backyard.

9ddf4f23.jpg

fb62da3d.jpg

I'm currently working on number 2 and 3. Number 2 will be a paring knife for my mother, she challenged me with replicating her Cutco paring knife. I'm using 1/16" 440C, hardened and tempered to 58hrc for that one.

Number 3 is this, I don't really know what to call it, I'm thinking of it as a skinning knife. For my Dad. Again 440C, 5/32" thick, hardened and tempered to 58hrc. Will be polished with blue G10 scales and brass pins.

Only problem is, I hardened it before drilling the pin holes. Doh!!
"Quote"

Welcome!
That skinner is a Sharp finger pattern. Many companies and makers make those.

To drill thru Hardened steel you need CARBIDE Drill Bits! That's the only kind that will work. No titanium or diamond coated or any other C#42 they will try to sell you at most Hardware places now.

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/

Welcome!
That skinner is a Sharp finger pattern. Many companies and makers make those.

To drill thru Hardened steel you need CARBIDE Drill Bits! That's the only kind that will work. No titanium or diamond coated or any other C#42 they will try to sell you at most Hardware places now.

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/

Thanks Laurence. I picked up some carbide tipped masonry bits at Home Depot on my way home today, will try them out tomorrow.

For the knife design, I took an idea I had and tried to make it a nice natural fit to my hand. I can't wait to finish it, I have this picture in my head and I'd love to see it become reality!

Back