New. From Kentucky

So....hello.

I haven't read any other introduction threads, so I'll just vomit into this massive blank space.

In short, I collect hobbies. I guess I'm just coming to terms with it now, at least enough to admit it freely. I like to learn. I try and do things that most people in my life (family, friends, etc) think is weird. I get a lot of, "Why don't you just buy (x)?", or "Why would you want to learn that??". The concise answer is "I don't know". I'm just compelled. It's a character trait.

I like knives. I think they are useful in a way that many things aren't. They shaped humanity in a way. There's a certain craftsmanship involved in knife-making (knife-smithing?) that appeals to me in a huge way. I am excited to see what I can do.

I ask a lot of questions. I tend to have a little bit of OCD when it comes to the learning the process, then breeze over some details when actually in practice. This will probably produce poor knives for awhile, although my mother will probably tell me they are awesome while wondering aloud to my dad why I would want to spend all weekend in the garage filing a piece of metal. I'm not ready to talk about the schism over my proposed forge yet.

Anyway, I'm handy. I pick up things pretty quickly. I like acquiring new skills. I get a lot of joy out of doing things the "old-fashioned way" for the most part. I'd rather build than buy. I brew beer, bake bread, work on cars, motorcycles, woodwork, build guns, reload, build computers, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

So know it's knives. And probably sheaths. I'm excited to see what I can do. After some preliminary scanning it seems like there are quite a few first-timers recently churning out some pretty sweet blades. It's a lot to live up to. We'll just see how it goes.

I guess that's what I'm supposed to do?

I'm glad to chat. I'm fairly civil. I haven't morphed into full caveman yet, regardless of what my family says.

Holla.

Justin

Thanks Danny. Bowling Green here. I actually just got out of the garage. Put my pattern on the steel...sparks tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Hi Justin and welcome. I did some camping in the Bowling Green area with my folks when I was a kid. Dad was stationed at Ft. Knox for a few years. We lived in Radcliff during his two years in Vietnam. Love that area, been through there a few times on the way back from visiting my wifes mother. We drive down to Hindeman in the eastern end of the state and then to Huntsville AL. to visit her sister and then back through your area.

Have fun here and see ya around.

Eric

Welcome Justin and good luck with your knifemaking. I was in Bowling Green yesterday to do some cowboy action shooting. I live in Louisville. If you are ever up this way give me a shout.

Well you came to the right place to have fun , and be addicted to the best hobby i can think of. welcome from wis show lots of pics and everyone will jump in to help you the best we can. Good luck.

Back