Neo-Tribal made

Tracy, it's all "fabricated", from sheet and wire,... cut, forged, bent, brazed etc. The "Blade collar" thread shows some basic fabricating technique.

I did sand cast some ingots from sterling spoon/fork scrap and milled most of the stock myself.

Last edited:
Tracy, it's all "fabricated", from sheet and wire,... cut, forged, bent, brazed etc. The "Blade collar" thread shows some basic fabricating technique.

I did sand cast some ingots from sterling spoon/fork scrap and milled most of the stock myself.

really nice work. Make a video, I'll sell them for you. We'll both make dozens of dollars.

seriously, if you ever make more, could you take a couple pictures? I'd like to see how you put them all together.

Tai - really cool man. I somehow missed commenting on this, probably because I was visiting the in-laws for holidays.

The spacer/collar that looks like a ring of brass beads - what is that made from? Did you start with something that already had that texture, or did you mill/file that texture into it?
The more I learn, the more I appreciate the fine hand skills that go into some of the cool stuff. This one is awesome (JD Smith spent a couple of days trying to impress on me the importance and versatility of plain old files, rifflers, and scrapers, because I started by trying to find the right power tool for everything). I now think it is a GOOD thing that so much of this work can be done with hand tools. (as an aside, I can't get near a sword-length blade with a power grinder past a point or I will just be making more work for myself - sen, files, stones, and paper are actually the fastest).

great work,
Kevin

Kevin, those are from sterling silver beaded wire. It comes in full bead and half bead. I used the full beaded on those. It was the only stock that I bought pre-milled.

Back