Need some swedge help

Shane Wink

I am having some issues grinding the swedge on a recent blade. The first one turned out perfect freehand but I have been unable since to put it back on again in the same way. What are your tips or jigs for putting a swedge on a blade? The pic below is the first one and the template of the blade I am building the for the Wounded Warrior Project Deerpocalpse '13 later this year in Dec.

View attachment 43540

Attachments

• 20131024_074453.jpg
    20131024_074453.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thanks Fred for the video. Always good stuff from you.

Sometimes you just need a break from the grinder. I cant tell you why I could not nail it on the previous 4 blades but I went back after posting this and used a file guide to set the plunge on the swedge and just freehanded it like before. After setting the swedge and plunges I scribed a line from the the plunge back toward the butt and ground to the line. Here is the blade I just ground before the tang was tapered.

yimg-1081240216-101-882824741.jpg

Looks like you got it now. Mr. Fred's Bubble Jig is just the ticket for swedges & clips. I free-hand most things but when I need to accurately repeat bevel angles I reach for the Bubble Jig. Next time I come remind me to bring it for you to try out.

I have a bubble jig somewhere and may need to dig it out just for the swedge. I will try it on the next one but due to the compound nature of the grind I think freehand is the way to go. I ground another one out lastnight using the above techniques again and it worked very well again. I will still try it with the bubble jig if I can find it and post the results. Thanks for the advice so far.

20131030_072028.jpg

20131030_072046.jpg

Back