need advise on handle-blade 'safe distance'

SHOKR

I need advice on this

I want to go back towards the tang with the plunge another cm (half the distance between mark and plunge), the knife now looks 'uneven' to me if that makes sense

What is a 'safe distance' between the edge and the handle for such blade?
It will have regular scales (no guard)
Do i go back 1cm with plunge and handle, just one of them, or none?

The mark represents the handle size (13 cm/ slightly over 5") and from tip of edge to it is about 20cm (8")

I havent settled on the purpose of the knife yet, but its built to be heavily used, i plan on making swedge too. So the only factor determining the use will be the ede thickness before sharpening. Its 6.2mm (almost 1/4") sverker 21 (D2)

20130203_133017.jpg

20130203_134217.jpg

the second photo shows a comfortable grip (if it helps with the decision, my hands are size large in gloves)

thanks

First. I think you have room to move the cut back. Second I don't see any need to. It doesn't look uneven to me. Third, why not add a guard? On a blade that thin, it almost seems necessary.

The ratio of handle to edge, i dont like it.

Also what do you mean by blade that thin?

Well its comfortable in the hand, i think best thing would be leave the frong of the handle bigger than the rest. Its an inch from top to bottom at its widest

Shokr,
If I understand this , what you have is a Ricassio that you feel is too big? You could start at halfway between the red mark & the plunge on the platen and slowly work towards the tip on both side to increase the length of the grind. Use a new sharp belt at a slow speed to blend it in so it matches.

What I would suggest instead is to texture or peen the surface of this ricassio to visually decrease the length of the handle or my favorite and functional reason for a long Ricassio is to "put a index finger cut out there with a 3/4 small wheel"

That way the knife could be gripped by the handle or a bit forward, or put longer scales on that go to halfway in the 3/4" cutout.

It's 4am here. Hope this makes sense? :rolleyes:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

SHOKR,
The simple answer to me is to shorten and reshape the handle. Instead of regrinding the plunge, just move the handhold forward. The grind to blade ratio looks good from here, but ultimately...you're the only one who knows what you're looking for. Before you do anything, trace the blank onto paper and work out anything that bothers you. That way you'll have a visual plan to follow. I always start with a drawing as a reference point.

Rudy

Last edited:
Laurence, i dont want to put a groove or choil on the blade i want it sort of 'modern tanto'

Today i was thinking just like Rudy suggested, remove a small portion from butt of the tang, my problem was i took a lot from the bottom so the end of tang is sorta unneccessary

I tried holding the blade and moving it in my hand regularly and in reverse, and i never got near the mark there is always 5-10mm space. So i think i will just take the plunge backwards a little bit after HT.

The knofe will be practical and looks wont be compromised so much, can always go with Ko Tanto *wink wink*

Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions guys

Back