Nearly complete.

ricky_arthur

image.jpgHere is one I nearly have complete. 8 Inches overall with 3 1/2 inch blade of 1095 HC steel. Handle is Local Black walnut that I stabilized and the guard I made out of a piece of leaf spring. My first try at this style of knife. I wanted to try one and then if it turned out buy some Damascus and do another a little fancier. Tell me what you think.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'm sorta figuring this out on my own. Thanks

Last edited:
Buy the damascus and round the edges of the handle more on it. Great looking knife!
Use nickle silver for bolster and pins on it.

Looks like some nice clean work there. I like it. Your file work on the blade is good. I wonder why you didnt extend the filework into the handle area.
I agree with George...round the handles more so it feels real good in your hand...like its supposed to be there. You'll know when you get it there.
Overall...good job!

Nicely done. Well proportioned and clean. File work looks good. You're making some great knives ricky arthur.

Your file work on the blade is good. I wonder why you didnt extend the filework into the handle area.
Overall...good job!

Thats a good question, I didn't run the file work down thru the handle because I couldn't see how it would work thru the guard and down the handle. Do I allow it to fill with epoxy? Or do I try to run the filework into the guard and handle wood? I chickened out cause I didn't want to mess it up. Maybe I'll try it on the next one, if someone will give me some pointers on making it work.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do one more while I wait for the Damascus to arrive and go a little more bold. I already have the blade and guards cut out.

I like it. I am not into doing the filing because I don't think I am good at it, but you sir are good. Keep it up. I would agree with the handles, round them off and make them comfy. My first handle looked similar.

Ricky, very nice work

If you want to run the filework in the handle, you do just the spine of the blade, some leave it as is but i think its not practical and best filled with colored epoxy. Keep in mind when you fill it only the surface would be visible, you may want to take that into account with the fikework you do
(ie. Vine would be good, rope might not be)

theWeatherman:234954 said:
I like it. I am not into doing the filing because I don't think I am good at it, but you sir are good.

You can always prctice on scrap pieces, or copper. I never put filework on a knife but i practiced on copper pieces, its softer so easier to work. Will be good practice and give you confidence. And you conquer fear ;)

Back