Near miss tonight....rushing

JawJacker

I don't get much time in the shop (no excuse) I was doing the final sharpening on my leather disc at mach 3, turned it off to change direction(but didn't) I turned it back on touched the blade to it on the opposite side and CRACK, blade dug in to the disc ripped from my hands flew past my head at the speed of light, hit the ceiling then the floor.
That got my blood pumping, I checked my hands first they were still there with no damage. I'm posting this just as a reminder, no matter how well you know your routine, things happen, be careful.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 38
Wow, close call. Glad your OK and didn't get seriously injured. Reading this brought back my recent incident with my finger and my portaband. I was rushing and made a big mistake. Happy for you that you are ok.

John

Glad your ok, and glad you posted this. it's a good reminder of how dangerous our shops are. you could have been seriously injured or even killed by that. my shop is small and crowded and I'm usually concerned when I have people over. I haven't had any real bad accident's but I did lose a couple blades years ago on my buffer and I'm sure they broke the sound barrier as they hit the ground and flew across the shop.

Its a real sobering experience when something like that happens in the shop. I have a mild case of shock and just kinda stand or sit there for a few minutes after.:15:
I'm glad you are alright as well! Yep! It only takes an absentminded second to do BIG damage! We all need to keep constant vigilance!

There has got to be something in the air............. I was over at my knife making mentors shop last night. He told me he almost bought the farm because he had a knife get away from him on the buffer. It hit the wall behind it, bounced off it and hit him in the torso just below his sternum and gave him a nasty cut/scratch/wound about an 1.5 to 2 inches long. Any harder and that would have been a kill shot. Mind you, this man has 30+ years as a knife maker. Gave me the willies so bad I want to make a leather and Kevlar shop apron for both of us.

Back