Navy Emblem for Scales

opaul

Hey guys, I have had a request to make a knife for a friend and he wants a Navy emblem inset in the scales. I've never done that and not sure I want to take that on. Seems like a good way to screw up. I guess I could inset the emblem, if I can find one, before the scales are mounted to reduce mistakes after it is glued up.
First off has anyone ever done this and if so where did you get the emblem and secondly any advise would be appreciated.

Opaul not sure exactly what you are looking for! The size is going to have to be right for the knife handle! Here is a link to what may be something like you are looking for but I am afraid these would be too large!

These are a navy coat insignia rank. https://www.acuarmy.com/products/navy-coat-insignia-rank I would guess they are about quarter size.

I recently bought an Insignia for my old Army Unit. 46th Combat Engineer Battalion. They still make the pins but I am not sure if the unit is still active. It has been put together for war and disbanded several times. Anyway to make a long story short this place took almost 4 weeks to get the Insignia for me. I should have expected that. As it took almost the same time to get a hat I ordered from them. The site is real professional not sure about the service, both times I had to email them and then it was some excuse and it was on its way!!

There is probably other vendors out there. I will see what I can turn up!!

EDIT: Whoa when it comes to navy emblems there is a lot to choose from. I suspect this may be more what he is thinking!!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=navy+emblem&qpvt=navy+emblem&FORM=IGRE

Check eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=navy+emblems

You better nail down what he wants as a Navy emblem because there is a lot to choose from. The next thing will be finding it in a size to fit the handle, so you can inset it!!

Last edited:
I'll say this, if you don't feel comfortable about doing it I'd politely tell him so. the worst that could possibly happen is you would lose a sale....but you'll sleep good.
If you go with it and accidently screw something up, well you won't sleep so well.
I'm not trying to talk you out of this OP, many of us, including myself have turned down request we didn't feel comfortable with.
sometimes first time projects shouldn't be done on knives that are ordered with high expectations from the customer.

I wish you luck, just be careful doing it. with some planning and careful work it should come out nice, post pics if you do it, maybe a WIP...that would be cool.

I did this one a while back for an EOD guy. 1A352600-D594-4F03-87CC-3B279F352E90.jpeg45529E20-94AB-4E90-881B-629259E296F0.jpegAF29A3E7-AF4D-4838-BB99-6172AF2468C2.jpeg
It finished looking better than these pictures but I cannot find my finished pics. I used a forstner bit and rotary tool to shape the hole. With wood scales it helps to paint the inside of the hole black. Temporarily SG the pin in place and fill with table top epoxy. Sand and polish , sand and polish, sand and polish. You get the point. If you decide to try it holler at me there are a few potholes you should be aware of. When I finished it the guy loved it.

Last edited:
I have never put one in a handle. But a concho in the sheath may suffice. Like $5.00 at Hobby Lobby. Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines.

Attachments

• A8C2D05B-F0C5-4BB5-A58F-70609135EB15.jpeg
    A8C2D05B-F0C5-4BB5-A58F-70609135EB15.jpeg
    901.7 KB · Views: 10
Another concho. How about a pin with a Navy theme?? Anchor maybe?? You can get just about whatever you can imagine in a pin.

Attachments

• 0E7597BF-BE9F-4F51-B637-946107417E63.jpeg
    0E7597BF-BE9F-4F51-B637-946107417E63.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Somebody asked me to do the same thing. I found this pin. I feel confident I could inay it on the handle , but I'm not up to the quality on my blade making yet. Its army but I'm sure they have navy. It's the smallest I could find right now. It's 5/8 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_2989.PNG
    IMG_2989.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Back