Mystery wood, help identify it!

McClellan Made Blades

I found some wood that my neighbor who is moving, put on a burn pile, he is cleaning out his shop and had a pile of it, the darker wood is really soft, possibly mahogany (sp), the lighter colored wood has a bit of curl to it, like curly maple. At first I was thinking it was oak, but now I'm not sure, all help is greatly appreciated. THANKS, Rex

You can tell if it's cherry by sanding it. Sand a small corner (or waste area) and smell it. If it's cherry, it will have a very distinct, sweet smell. If you have another piece of KNOWN cherry, you can compare the two.

Mystery wood Identified!!!!!!!!

I finally got in touch with the guy that had owned the wood, he says it's curly maple, and some of it is supposed to be curly wormy maple. All these pieces are cutoffs from projects he was building, so I got them and I got a lot of them!! I thought it was curly maple at first but it has darker lines in it that I'd never seen in curly maple, he mentioned that it came from somewhere that specialized in old growth woods and that it was very expensive stuff. I had no idea he built furniture, of course I pretty much stay to myself, so I guess it's understandable. Thanks for everyone attempting to identify it, the knife dogs are the best in the pound!!! Woof!!, Rex

Back