"My very first knife" - post up!

Hey Bruce if any of those blades under your bench are dicarded feather pattern damascus I may consider buying..Lol

OK, I'll play. The knife just turned up in a box I was picking through. An omen, it wants to be let out in the daylight.

This is my first on "automated equipment". By that I mean...an 8" serrated wheel mounted on my 8" Manhattan grinder with a roller skate wheel on a backstand idler screwed into my bench. I had the fever bad. Before this Rube Goldberg set up, it was all files and paper. It started out much bigger but the 'grinder' was hungry. After the initial uephoria wore off, I figured I'd be making miniatures from then on. lol. This is it's first public viewing ever.

2011_1202first-860001.jpg2011_1202first-860002.jpg2011_1202first-860003.jpg2011_1202first-860004.jpg

Rudy

Its free at last. Thanks for letting it out into the daylight. I like, kinda Japanese look to it. What kind of grinder do you have now?
OK, I'll play. The knife just turned up in a box I was picking through. An omen, it wants to be let out in the daylight.

This is my first on "automated equipment". By that I mean...an 8" serrated wheel mounted on my 8" Manhattan grinder with a roller skate wheel on a backstand idler screwed into my bench. I had the fever bad. Before this Rube Goldberg set up, it was all files and paper. It started out much bigger but the 'grinder' was hungry. After the initial uephoria wore off, I figured I'd be making miniatures from then on. lol. This is it's first public viewing ever.

View attachment 27776View attachment 27777View attachment 27778View attachment 27779

Rudy

Thanks for being kind Bruce.
It started out as a six inch tanto blade but I had to keep readjusting the handle as the blade got shorter.

I have a BII, a homemade and the Grizzly I got after the backstand grinder. Also a 1x42 . I've come a long way since 86....toolwise anyway.

Rudy

Hey Bruce if any of those blades under your bench are dicarded feather pattern damascus I may consider buying..Lol

No feather but several low layered damacus with slag, scale and a bunch of bad welds from the early days. Send money. hehe

I am sure that some of you have seen my latest, But there is a contrast from my first.

Bill Dirk

Attachments

• photo5555555.jpg
    photo5555555.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 171
Hey Bruce,
I'm just curious if you have any idea what that first blade might be worth these days? You might not be the right one to ask, I know how modest you are! I think that one will be HUGE one day, if not already!!!! As far as firsts go, that one looked like it wasn't a first, seriously nice blade no matter which one it is, ya might want to advise your buddy that it could be worth some serious cash one day! You know how collectors are! Rex

Rex, Dont I have to be dead or nearly dead to have value on my first works? I'm not Bob L. or Bill M. ya know but thanks man.
Hey Bruce,
I'm just curious if you have any idea what that first blade might be worth these days? You might not be the right one to ask, I know how modest you are! I think that one will be HUGE one day, if not already!!!! As far as firsts go, that one looked like it wasn't a first, seriously nice blade no matter which one it is, ya might want to advise your buddy that it could be worth some serious cash one day! You know how collectors are! Rex

I'll play also
My first made in the summer of 2006,made from a file and dymonwood
DSCN1110-1.jpg

And one I finished inSept.2011
camelbonetrapper-1.jpg

Still trying.:biggrin:
Stan

Here's my first from summer of 96. I started filing it and finished with a 1X42" grinder! The transition to power! WOW!
attachment.php

It's ATS-35 with about a 4 1/2" blade, Non-stabilized Koa and Loveless bolts. I sold it and bought it back about five years later.

It has the reverse Tanto tip that Osborne made popular a few years later.

If you are thing about something new! So is someone else on the planet! LOL.

I've been been having Puter problems. Sorry for the fuzzy pics.
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.comONE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words guys!
this became basis of my Rhino Hunter, The blade was much more upswept On that model.

I was reading the book, The Covenant. All about South Africa. By James Mitchner.
There was a slip cover on the book with a cave painting of a Rhino thats about 10,000 years old! So from the overbuilt part,and the upswept blade, Rhino Custom Knives became my Name/Log

Also one of the reasons I got into knifemaking back then was Most Production knives have terrible handles.
It seemed that most handles were a after thought, And the cheapest fastest way to slap two pieces of wood on and get it out the door!

This was attempt to make a more bulbous in the middle handle that is fairly comfortable.
There is always something more to experiment with and learn from.

This was really the second attempt. The first was so bad I threw it away. :sad: This is my first completed knife.

I am making a Rhino Hunter now for a customer, I'll post a pic as it get's closer to completion.

Does someone else have a first to post!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Strange timing on this thread. First knife in 1997 was a wharncliffe made from a Sandvik steel file shaped by a Nicholson file(which was harder). Handle's oak from a busted axe handle. It still sits on my cutting board and gets used constantly. Newest is the wharncliffe I just showed in a previous thread. Has a 5 inch S-30V blade and some quartersawn oak from last year's firewood pile. Used two different grinders, drill press, band saw and a lot of wet/dry etc. Time does march on...and I do make other shapes and use other handle materials:). Like I said, strange timing.
Picture.jpg

Joel, excellent picture of both knives. Most makers dont start with a wharncliffe blade as they are more difficut to grind and sharpen. By the looks of the patina the first one gets appreciated daily. The last wharnie is beautiful.

Strange timing on this thread. First knife in 1997 was a wharncliffe made from a Sandvik steel file shaped by a Nicholson file(which was harder). Handle's oak from a busted axe handle. It still sits on my cutting board and gets used constantly. Newest is the wharncliffe I just showed in a previous thread. Has a 5 inch S-30V blade and some quartersawn oak from last year's firewood pile. Used two different grinders, drill press, band saw and a lot of wet/dry etc. Time does march on...and I do make other shapes and use other handle materials:). Like I said, strange timing.
Picture.jpg
Hey Joel I like your blades man. I also know where State College, Pa. is as well. In fact I flown in and out of there.

Bill

Back