"My very first knife" - post up!

"My very first knife" - post up!

My first knife.

I remember this coming off the grinder and having so many dips and waves in the bevel that most of what you see was done with a file. I'm not sure what's worse, that the knife is so bad or that I worked so doggone hard on it. I busted my hump on this knife, but I guess that's how it goes when you do everything three or four times.

053fb81dd35afcd2c384571b174679fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is a really fun thread. It's cool to see where everyone got their start.

I stumbled across this photo of my first knife that I made back in 2010. I was really into woodcarving and decided to make myself a knife. It's an ugly piece of work, but it's where I got my start. The blade was made from a piece of floor scraper which I shaped carefully as to not have to reheat treat the blade. It actually worked pretty well as a carving knife until I started making some better ones. I haven't carved much for a few years as folders are now my passion.

SANY1118.jpg

My first knife also looked like a shank. Most of the bevel work was done with a file because I screwed it up so bad with my bench grinder, and the plunge line is nearly completely blended in. At least the sheath looked good.
IMG_20150101_212625_741.jpg

-Aaron

Last edited:
John, maybe I should note that this wasn't my first sheath. I'd made about a dozen of them by this point.

thanks,
Aaron

Thank you for trying to save my feelings, Bruce. Your generosity is legendary. But I'm fully aware that this knife is two steps down from the dime store hook knives my grandfather used to lay linoleum floors in the '50s.

One may look at this knife and say, "John, with some hand sanding, that knife might have almost become something a ten year old could show his mother" to which I reply "I did hand sand it. A lot." Which only proves that my hand sanding skills were almost as embarrassing as my failures on the grinder. Still, these are the experiences which form our lives, and give us the courage to forge boldly ahead as an insurance salesman.

...One may look at this knife and say, "John, with some hand sanding, that knife might have almost become something a ten year old could show his mother" to which I reply "I did hand sand it. A lot." Which only proves that my hand sanding skills were almost as embarrassing as my failures on the grinder. Still, these are the experiences which form our lives, and give us the courage to forge boldly ahead as an insurance salesman.

brilliant

Thank you for trying to save my feelings, Bruce. Your generosity is legendary. But I'm fully aware that this knife is two steps down from the dime store hook knives my grandfather used to lay linoleum floors in the '50s.

One may look at this knife and say, "John, with some hand sanding, that knife might have almost become something a ten year old could show his mother" to which I reply "I did hand sand it. A lot." Which only proves that my hand sanding skills were almost as embarrassing as my failures on the grinder. Still, these are the experiences which form our lives, and give us the courage to forge boldly ahead as an insurance salesman.

Yes, Brilliant! Forge on John

Hello all. I'll play.
Here's a pic of my first 'real' knife. Completed in March: ~400 layers of 1095/15N20, spalted maple burl off my property stabilized by K&G, ebony and bloodwood.

gdK7uNP.jpg

And my most recent, from the same billet, with handle from the same tree and ebony.

3zXZf4m.jpg

comments/critiques always welcome
~billyO

My first, second and third

Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Well, billyO puts me to shame but, I am proud nonetheless.

My first, second and third (top to bottom) respectively.
Most expensive knives on the planet at the moment.

Mike

Attachments

• 20161120_113531.jpg
    20161120_113531.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 44
I just finished my first three. Ground from a 7" cold saw blade using an angle grinder and 3 x 21 handheld woodworking sander. These were done in the hardened state as there is no way I could temper M2 steel. The first one actually finished was the cord wrapped. Second was the plume agate handle. Self collected agate from Big Bend Texas.

Attachments

• DSC07114.jpg
    DSC07114.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 38
I just finished my first three. Ground from a 7" cold saw blade using an angle grinder and 3 x 21 handheld woodworking sander. These were done in the hardened state as there is no way I could temper M2 steel. The first one actually finished was the cord wrapped. Second was the plume agate handle. Self collected agate from Big Bend Texas.

Looks like your off to a good start. The wood handled knife looks user friendly, and could be a great EDC.

Back