My name is Gary...

antleygd

I picked up forging in high school back in 1982. I made a pile of tractor equipment pins for folks. After high school I layed the skills aside. Some 25 years later I picked it up again in attempt to make a Rail Road Spike knife. A champion 400 blower, 15 gallon barrell and a car rim made my forge. The first kinfe turned out fairly good using only a 4 inch side ginder and hand sanding.

A blessing from God make a major change in my hobby. I purchased a Grizzly G1015 knife grinder/sander off of Ebay during a holiday weekend for only $152 delivered to the door. When the grinder arrived, I was shocked to see a near NEW grinder in the box. This grinder has served me well over the years.

I have got to a point to where hollow grinding is a must in order to step up quality. I can only get so far on the G1015 due to its speed. I am mid project building a NWGS. Once this is on line I will head to the next hurdle in skills.

I currently make Railroad Spike knives, forged blades, and stock removal blades from 1095 steel. I have made some demascus but I feel I need to stick with the simpler stuff for a while.

My shop equipment includes: Forgemaster forge, Grizzly G1015 grinder/sander, Little Giant 25 pound trip hammer, Tippmann "Boss" leather sticher, and a truck load of smaller hand tools.

I was working with ABS Master Bladesmith Dean Mitchel. Dean had to move so I am Masterless....sigh.... I work with a group of misfits in the area of which none of use is too smart but together we could change a light blub. LOL I believe we are all smart people. However what we know may not overlap other knowledge which makes one look stupid at times.

Attachments

• Me and My Hammer.jpg
    Me and My Hammer.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
Back