My latest

Kev

I got a few precious hours alone, in the shop tonight and was able to finish up this little guy. It’s tough to tell from the photo, but it’s hollow ground. This is only my second hollow grind but it turned out ok. I struggled mightily with the guard and handle, but again managed to muddle through.
I started to polish the flats, but I really like the contrast with the polished blade.
Comments and criticism, welcome and requested. I’m still learning how much I don’t know, and the advice and perspective I gain here is priceless.
Thanks in advance.

54A19505-8B6F-4FE7-8556-96789575DD13.jpeg
3D3D14E2-4E63-4157-876D-BAA7E4224CDD.jpeg

Kev, I like it! Lately I have seen some new combinations of materials and while some I don't care for I do like this one. It is one I don't think I would have tried but, after seeing it, it works!! Good work!

The longer I look at it, the less I like it. The micarta guard was more of a work around than anything. I had already destroyed two guards, and that’s what I had left. I think if I were able to orient the micarta sideways it would look better.
I like the wood/synthetic combos, but they have definitely been done better.

I like the way it looks! The edge grain of the micarta makes for an eye catching contrast to the walnut.

The longer I look at it, the less I like it. The micarta guard was more of a work around than anything. I had already destroyed two guards, and that’s what I had left. I think if I were able to orient the micarta sideways it would look better.
I like the wood/synthetic combos, but they have definitely been done better.

Half of the battle is thinking on your feet and I always heard the mark of a true craftsman is taking that Oh Oh, and making it look like it was an intentional! I think the grain running opposite of the handle material is OK! Sometimes you never know till you try something. Knife makers are often their own worst critics!!

Half of the battle is thinking on your feet and I always heard the mark of a true craftsman is taking that Oh Oh, and making it look like it was an intentional! I think the grain running opposite of the handle material is OK! Sometimes you never know till you try something. Knife makers are often their own worst critics!!

I am definitely my own worst critic, I think it comes with the territory. You can’t invest that much time and passion (if you will), into a project and not be intimately familiar with all of the flaws, while it’s easy to overlook the favorable.
I have a box full of finished knives that will never see the light of day, from when I first started knife making. I pull them out from time to time, and directly compare them to my current work. That helps give me perspective as well.
Thank you for the positive comments.

Back