My First Stock Removal Knives WIP

japollner

Have only done 2 handles on blanks so far, but ordered a piece of O-1 and got to cutting.

Theres a few spots where the cutting wheel got it a bit hot, but they are mostly on the handle.
Both are small hunters. One has a high angle flat grind for good edge strength and the other has a slight recurve and will have a much narrower edge for more delicate tasks.

1277179_931016463827_1620169562_o.jpg

This is my first time doing my own grinding. Is this too much edge to leave for heat treat? I know it won't warp with too much, but will it be a bear to put the final edge on? I am thinking of doing a secondary bevel, or taking them to a convex edge. There is a dime up by the ricaso for scale.

1294594_931016423907_1295084172_o.jpg

Looking pretty good, do as much profiling sanding and polishing as you can before heat treat. The sharpening notch would look better round,imho. Stihl make excellent ones for chainsaw sharpening . Also try to make your primary bevel as even as you can from the ricasso to the tip. I can measure mine and won't have more .002" difference along the whole blade length. I was taught to make your first grind to your minimum limit on edge thickness. What ever that will be will depend on the steel and who is doing the heat treat.
Basically the first grind will 35-45 degrees till preheat edge thickness is achieved. Of course, this thickness will be marked with two lines from the center line.Tried this on my first two blades worked great. Then just put a thin sharpie mark on each side. Then after that you can work the rest of the blade with-out worry of going to thin. I really think it does give a good reference mark for the rest of the profiling.Specially if a guy is doing multiple angles to achieve the the final blade profile. Hope I don't sound like a know it all, just giving you my opinion.
Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I'm working on it, and think I got most of your points.

Doing all of this on a 1x30 Harbor Freight sander since money is right. Not the best tool for the job.

I do think you should thin out the tip to match the rest of the edge. You can do it after HT but it will take a lot more time and belts. The most important things are that you make what you like and that you have a good time doing it.

Back