My first knife design

Not sure, but I don't think 304 SS will harden to make a good blade, like I say I am not sure of that. They sure look good though.
Dale

Yeah my bubble has already been burst lol. It doesnt matter its all good practice! Thanks for the complement

byfbo
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We're learning along with you.

Does the laser cutting harden the edge where it was cut?

Maybe you could use the laser to cut the 1/4" stock thinner? ;-) Which leads to the next question how tick of stock can the laser handle? How does it react to different steels/metals?

- LonePine
Alias Paul Meske, Wisconsin

byfbo
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We're learning along with you.

Does the laser cutting harden the edge where it was cut?

Maybe you could use the laser to cut the 1/4" stock thinner? ;-) Which leads to the next question how tick of stock can the laser handle? How does it react to different steels/metals?

- LonePine
Alias Paul Meske, Wisconsin

Laser cut edges are not hardened by the laser beam. Our laser can handle up to 1/2 inch thick. It could cut 3/4 but we dont bother. Most newer lasers can handle up to an inch and a quarter. I dont know of a laser set up that reduces material thickness. Our laser cant cut anything non-ferrous, well it could cut aluminum but we dont bother because our laser is older and doesnt have anti reflection technology. Certain tool grade steels we also cant cut such as D2 it kinda just puddles on top. All materials laser cut need to be clean and smooth. Lasers dont really like paint, rust, pits, or poorly recycled hot rolled sheets. If we did cut aluminum and stainless alternatively with out cleaning out the slag that builds up on the bottom of the machine one good spark could start a metal fire. If James Bond was ever worred about being cut in half by a laser he woulda been ok lol. If you or anyone is interested on my company's website there are several videos detailing our method of operating the machines we have. We have a 3000w C02 laser and 3 smaller 350w and less c02 lasers, one yag style laser and one galvo style laser for decorating. We cut steel, stainless, acrylic, cardboard, paper, felt, leather, film, reticular film, mylar, wood, pretty much anything that can be safely cut we cut it. About the most "exotic" metal that I have personally cut is Nitronic stainless. That stuff is crazy expensive. We had a client that makes automotive door latches and locks come in with a 48" by 48" 14 gauge piece and it cost em 2k or so I was told anyways. Our website is www.smidgensinc.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back