My First Knife and Sheath Completed

Bowman

Hi Everyone

Here are some pics of my first knife and sheath. The knife is 7 1/2" long with a 3" blade made from O1 steel (stock removal). Tigerwood scales and 1/8" brass pins. I used hand files and sandpaper for this one with the exception of a drill press and a 4 x 36 belt sander for shaping the scales. Heat treated in my homemade forge built from a refrigeration cylinder. The sheath was made from scratch by me.

It has been a long work in progress to learn and apply what I have learned with the end result in these pics. I am content with my first attempt and I am so glad I followed it to completion....I love making knives.

I need to say 'Thank you' to all that contribute to this site and other sites. I have learned a tremendous amount from many makers that frequent this site alone, especially those that have posted tutorials and WIPs.

Please give me some feedback.

Thank you

Brett

PS. I made a poor choice in color for the sheath as it doesn't complement the knife too well. So I guess I'll have to make a second knife and sheath...:3:

FirstKnife043.jpg
[/IMG]

FirstKnife045.jpg
[/IMG]

FirstKnife046.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN0126_zps94a0bd9f.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN0123_zps11527eff.jpg
[/IMG]

Great looking knife and not sure why you said you made a poor choice for color on the sheath as I think it compliments it well! One suggestion on the next one give the handle a little more contour (not quite so box-ey looking/ squared off shoulders)! It looks a whole lot better than my first one!:35:

Bret,
You did good! Considering the tools you had to work with,you did very good.
You obviously had an ample supply of something that I am very short of...,PAITENCE.
Keep up the good work.

That's some excellent work for a first knife, very clean. The sheath is really well done as well. I think you'll be making some stunning pieces if you keep it up!

Very impressive! Especially considering your tool list. I like the design and lines on it. I think you and I have similar tastes in knives.

Very nice knife!! For making it by hand with basic tools, AWESOME knife!!! I like the sheath too

Especially love your approach to solving the problem of the non matching colors ;)

Congratulations!!! keep up the good work Brett

As others have said..Very nice work,and for a first....Awesome job!!! Keep at it....u will be making some beautiful pieces

God bless

Back