My First Forged Blade

I remember when you were headed to the car to get the piece of steel. You were a bit beat down when I saw you a few hours later! Nice job, buddy. That's great work and you should be proud! Let me know if you need any help with it. Brad

I've decided that I screwed up when forging it and should have forged it as a narrow tang. That's too easy though, I'm gonna cut it down to a narrow tang.

Murph,
That is NOT Screwed up! All you really have to do is shape the tang, to fit your hand, ironically that design is one that I have made a few of, matter of fact I have one like that on the bench, thought it looked familiar. Now if you are wanting to make it a hidden tang then yes you'll have to taper the tang down a pretty good bit, but it will make a fine full tang with a little grinding. When I'm forging out mine, I put a bend right behind the ricasso, on the tang, I do this by a couple of sharp taps with the blade cherry red, too much and the angle is too severe for me. So, I take it easy, with it cherry red, all I have to do is give it a couple of good taps on the spine with the blade on the horn near the tip where the horn tapers to the point. do you have a small wheel attachment with your KMG? I use a 3/4" wheel, to get in the front corner, then go to a 2" wheel to finish the rest of the handle. I'll see if I have a pic I can send you when I get home. I should be HTing this one tonight, so maybe I can get it closer to done before I take more pics. This one will be for sale by the end of the week, I think it's going to be a good deal for someone that likes big fighter /cutter blades. If you need ANYTHING, call me, or shot me an email. I'll do anything I can to help you Bro`. Rex

Appreciate it Rex. I look forward o seeing this piece you're talking about. Do I get to call first dibbs?

Murph , I think it looks pretty good , Glad you got yourself going . As much as you like japanese blades I know one is on the horizon !! good luck Bubba-san

ONE??? Come on Bubba, you no better than to think there will be just one. I'm already thinking about how many years it will take before I can start thinking about using tamahagane.

ONE??? Come on Bubba, you no better than to think there will be just one. I'm already thinking about how many years it will take before I can start thinking about using tamahagane.

I mean't like next week ! yaa! Once you forge a good japanese blade its hard to stop ??? I like forging them better than I like finishing them . usually make about 4 blades at a time when possible , then spend the rest of the time making handles and hardware . Its so much fun it makes me fart !

Murph,

That design is looking awesome!!! Keep the pics coming! Are you going to be filing, or are you a fortunate one and have a grinder?:D:D:D

thanks

Jeff

Appreciate it Rex. I look forward o seeing this piece you're talking about. Do I get to call first dibbs?

Murph,
If you want 1st dibs, you got it, and I'll give you a great price, just because your so freakin cool!!! And ahelluva nice guy..., that helps in my book. It has been heat treated, and it looks like the hamon is turning out nicely....so far, you never know with those. Once I get it cleaned up, I'll show you the handles scales I've chosen, some of that walnut from Don Hanson (figured you'd like that) but I chose them last week, if you would prefer something different I've got a pretty good bit of different types of wood and horn as you know, the horn I would have to go through to make sure that I have a piece that fit correctly. Or should I say PERFECTLY! I'll keep you posted, I will work on it again tomorrow, and Sunday, and I'm having a fit to forge something. A lot of grass to cut and a double header tomorrow afternoon, so I'm hitting the hay so I can get up early in the A.M. and get after it. I'll let you know something soon, Rex

Oh yeah, I have the master of all grinders to work on this. I haven't started grinding on it yet. I've been going over and over the design and then took it up to Jim's shop with me yesterday for advice. I'll start work on it very soon.

Rex, walnut is always awesome. Do your thing and get with me Monday afternoon or later (I'm with the wife for the weekend, hint hint).

Oh yeah, I have the master of all grinders to work on this. I haven't started grinding on it yet. I've been going over and over the design and then took it up to Jim's shop with me yesterday for advice. I'll start work on it very soon.

Rex, walnut is always awesome. Do your thing and get with me Monday afternoon or later (I'm with the wife for the weekend, hint hint).

Murph,
You can't tell, but I'm totally exhausted, I've worked what little butt I had off today! If you remember Ken Herring that met me at Batsons, he came over today wanting to spend some time with me while I made a knife, here I am thinking I'm helping a guy that wants to "learn" how to make a knife, after hours of "teaching" him what I know about grinding still thinking he needs my help, I asked if he brought any with him that I might be able to help him with, and of course he brought several that he's been working on, OMG!!!! Here I am thinking he needed help and the blades he's showing me were freakin awesome! Even a dagger he ground from a file, that was perfect on all sides, all he needs is a little help with heat treating, he had one MONSTER blade he did a stock removal job on that was AWESOME! The handle work on it was great, the only thing he really lacks is confidence in his blades, once he gets some heat treating done I'm hoping he'll either put them on here or let me put them on here for him, now I'm wishing I took some pics of them.

Anyway I managed to get one side of the one I was telling you about started, I'm planning on sanding it to about 1000 grit and re-etching it, the hamon came out pretty nicely, should be a lot nicer after taking it down further. Here is the pic, I'm going to bed! Yall have a nice night, Rex

Attachments

• Forged Fighter 001.jpg
    Forged Fighter 001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 38
Back