My Dirt Knife

Jeremiah Rostig

Making a knife and only using the scrab, trash and dirt which is available in my Environment was the Idea and the challenge....
I forged the blade out of the outer ring of the roller bearing, took a road killed turtel for the handle slabs and some Electric copper wire, width was 2 mm in diameter.It is a really small knife with a 75 mm long blade and overall 160mm.
Months after I made that knife I heard something about skavenge Knife Making or something like this, seemed to be the same thing.
Sorry about the weak Picture, havent got another shot from this piece.
Thanks for watching.

Jeremiah,
Just a word of caution. That's a cool looking knife but don't sell and ship it to anyone in the USA. It would most likely get confiscated by US Customs/ Fish & Game because of the turtle shell.

Thanks for the good words, Guys!
Laurence:Yes you are right.Thanks for the caution. with turtle shell it is world wide the same.they are strongly protected and it is good like it is.5 years ago this species was still sold alive at the market for making soup, but now they are not offered anymore.i never thought about selling that piece cos of the material.I just wanted to make this Dirt Knife. I gave it as a present to a nice fellow, living in Laos and there it still cuts its way.

Last edited:
Beautiful work, and good usage of scavenged materials. Is the handle from the belly of the shell?

Thank You James! Yes the scales are from the belly.The back of road kill turtels is always completely destroyed and if not, they are simply too round.

Last edited:
Awesome concept, and beautiful result... you don't see many roadkill handles, but it is using what is available/recycling at it finest!

Back