my design on a grinding jig

franklin

Hope you like this i tried to solve the problem of unbolting the blade to do each side.
and to keep your plunges lined up,and it can be used as a file guide if you harden the arms.
i upgraded mine with the guide i bought from bruce bump removed one of the guide pins and put two 3/16 inch pins in the bottom.

I think its pretty self exsplanatory in the pics but any questions ask away.
thanks for looking at my jig!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3495.jpg
    100_3495.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_3499.jpg
    100_3499.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 88
hers some more pics

Attachments

• 100_3515.jpg
    100_3515.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_3518.jpg
    100_3518.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_3512.jpg
    100_3512.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 116
just started one seems to be working great, and easy to use. tracy has one prototype and i am doing a 3rd one that will go on pay it faword in a couple weeks. So keep your eyes peeled

boss is looking at one now, so up to him i just dont have the tools to put out any number of these. two took me 3 weeks to do.
thanks for the replys anyone see any thing you would change oe make better?

well tried the jig here is about 10 min of grinding, with anything i think a little practice is all you need, what i liked is how close the plunge lines are with so little effort.

Attachments

• 100_3528.jpg
    100_3528.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_3530.jpg
    100_3530.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 67
if any one wants to see a short video go to knifedogs on facebook. its about 2 min long and shows way more then i can tell you.
or go to my link mya knives (thanks art)

The design looks pretty good and I'm thinking we can dovetail this in with our hardened file guides we are already making. I am going to put this into the project que.

How about two micarta blocks to hold the blade and a table that can be tilted instead? No need to have to move all that metal back and forth and no bolts underneith to drag on the metal plate that is the table. Position the blade between the blocks and just turn to grind one side or the other. The tillting table is set or changed as you wish. This works super well and is as simple as can be. I use it for all my blades double edged ones and Persian shaped ones included. Frank

Frank i think i understand what your getting at the sled on mine also acts as a stop to true up the plunge lines.
but you could skip the bolts on sled and just tilt table i just like the bolts my table is a true 90 and imho its easier for me to turn the two bolts.
thanks for the encouragement to build this Tracy it was fun. Cant wait to see yours.

Nice work. It looks rigid. I made one very similar to that using angle iron and a flat plate to slide the jig on.

Back