Modding some CCC trainers for room-mate's friend

C

Charlie Mike

My room-mate brought 2 of these guys home from a guy he works with. Both were NIB... not that NIB means much in this case. His friend bought the pair of em for $10.

butterflytrainerhexholes.jpg

One was unsafely tight and the other had loose screws all around. After adding some locktite blue, it was still one extreme or the other. Looks like the threads are metric to boot. I figured the best way to make these things functional would be to make some solid pins and peen them permanent. The customer also wanted me to sharpen the blades. These things are seriously POS, but hell, I'm getting paid $15 each to exercise free reign on these guys... *sigh*

1302161582.jpg

1302161618.jpg

1302161687.jpg

1302161758.jpg

1302161862.jpg

1302207868.jpg

1302207954.jpg

1302208096.jpg

This is it so far... I think I'll do the other one a tanto. Chisel ground on each.

I'd be very cautious attempting to sharpen these. Typically any training knife blade is made of aluminum or really crappy SS. Seeing that these blades are marked "SS", I would guess that is really crappy SS. This could create an extremely dangerous situation for a user.

The stuff was already HTd and appears to be 440A.

Looks like the only way to make these pivots work properly is to make some stepped pins. I'll use brass just for the ease of machining. That means I need bore out the holes in the tang and one side of both handles. I don't own any carbide bits let alone a drill press or lathe. My father in law does however and tomorrow night is our weekly family night. I also tried to remove the spacers on the butt end and they all stripped with little pressure. I'll keep the spacer but I'll replace the screws with peened brass rods to match the pivots.

Back