Micron size for strops

izafireman

I make flat strops which I sell, they are flat composite board with 2mm leather bonded to them and supplied with Chromium Oxide. But recently I was thinking it might be better to load them with diamond spray and sell them that way. Now I have read that leather isn't the best for diamond spray and to use Faux leather, I think glued so the non leather woven material side is on the outer side and so the diamond particles migrate into the weave, apparently very good results with this.

I have tried diamond paste on leather but I didn't like it as the paste tended to 'lump' , this was also the case with compounds such as bark river. I am sure someone here will use diamond spray for there strops and I was just wondering what micron spray you use, I was thinking 1 micron possibly as my thinking is that a higher cutting diamond would be better for 'Mr Average' to use and quickly refine the edge.

I am also going to try some plain MDF boards with diamonds too. So any other substrates or diamond or maybe CBN anyone can recommend for consistent results. Oh and I I also looking for a tutorial that I could print out and include with the boards with easy instructions on knife stropping, anyone know of any please?

Thanks in advance.

Back