'Michigan Hunter' with 1075 and Koa...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
It's that time of year....fall is in the air and guys (and girls) start thinking about hunting. Here is one of my 'Michigan Hunter' models I finished recently. I don't really do too many 'models' or multiple knives and I don't name many. But I've made and sold enough of these to warrant it. The vast majority of these have been sold here in Michigan.

This one has a pretty killer piece of koa. It's so hard to photograph and no pics could do this piece of wood any justice.

Specs:
Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched, etched and polished.
8" overall, 3 5/8" blade, .195" thick at the ricasso with full distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
Rounded, filed thumb grip
Black g-10 collar, fluted and line cut
Stabilized, oil finished curly Hawaiian Koa
Take down construction with damascus finial

All comments and discussion welcome.

Fantastic fit and finish, as always.

These take-down knives... is the intent to have the customer be able to disassembly, or is it just a name for the way they are constructed? Is the handle not epoxied?

Thanks gents! :)

John- take down usually denotes a knife that can be taken apart. I don't usually do actual takedowns for the end result, because I typically don't want my knives taken apart. It's too easy to lose parts, get parts on wrong, try to force something that's not fitting right when re assembling and so on. Too many opportunities for disaster. So I usually epoxy the handle on.

In this case, it was a pre discussed and pre arranged situation so the knife could be disassembled easily for maintenance/restoration purposes. I still stressed that it shouldn't be taken apart all the time 'just because'. That will invariably allow the tight fitting parts to wear and become not as tight eventually. Hence the reason for the custom finial that requires a spanner wrench to take apart. I have the wrench and it would be more difficult for just anyone to take it apart.

John
I can look at this knife and just know that you made it. Very nice Koa. Are you going to use it for hunting season and sell it afterwards?
DeMo

Back