Micarta or G10...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
I am working on my "Performance Test Knife. I have made 3 of them and I have not gotten the results I"m looking for. They were forged out of 1084 steel. I just found 1 more 3/16 x 1.5 x 48" bar today. So I'm going to make 3 more. 2 for my testing and 1 to submit.

Now the big question: Between Micarta and G10 which would make the better handle?

I am making a full tang test knife that has a 5" handle and a 9.75" blade and a 1/4" ricaso. My first group I had wrapped with paracord. I want something a little more traditional looking. If not the above mention materials I will go with Ipe hardwood.

Either will be tough as nails. G-10 has a tendency to grind VERY easily. It's kind of like trying to shape butter with your grinder. The down side is that the dust is horrible! You really need a ventilation system to keep the dust under control. It will make you itch all over, so dress accordingly. Micarta isn't much harder to grind than G-10 and I find it much less irritating to the skin.

Regardless of which you decide on, use a ventilation system if you can and be sure to wear a respirator and proper eye protection. Either material will serve you well.

I would also cut the G10 with a cutting wheel on a rotary tool. I cut some on a band saw and wrecked the motor. Being that this will be your test knife, you could put a piece of plywood on it and it wouldn't matter.

Doug

Done the plywood thing. Was one ugly knife. I had a cousin that wanted it. I have a good North 7700 respirator and I work on the back porch with a ceiling fan and a 16" pedestal fan blowing dust away from me. Since the test knife is signed by the MS administering the test and then presented with your finished group of knives in the second step of the testing procedure I didn't want the performance knife to be too ugly.

I always wear eye protection.

I think I would go with micarta. you have more control of color and you can make as many as you need. you dont need to worry about waiting for shipping...just drying

Put on some of Boss's new Pearl Kirinite. :)

If you can find the colors you like, I really don't think you could go wrong with either. I'm personally a sucker for black linen micarta.

Based on your input it seems micarta is the way to go. I have both in my favorite knife handle color. "Black" l have a couple of other colors too. LOL
I guess I can try both on my practice knives and see which works better and use it on the final one. Thanks for the help.

Maybe I missed something here. If these are your performance test knives aren't you going to be testing them to destruction? If that is true then the handle material won't matter.

Doug

Disclaimer: I'm not a smith.

Having said that, I understand one of the biggest parts of the test is the 90 degree flex? Your blade is 15" OAL right? Wouldn't it stand a better chance of surviving the 90 degree bend if the bend was over 15" instead of just 10"? Seems like the rigid G10 or Micarta handle would unduly stress the blade portion. Something like horsemat (form follows function right?) might spread that bend stress over a longer length.

(Signed)
The naive one.
:biggrin:

Surely the only real difference between micarta and g10 is the appearance. Choose what you like the look of.

You do destroy it! My understanding is it sits on the table with your finished knives in fit and finish review. Also during the test the handle is covered by the pipe used as a lever to bend your knife. The better the fit less chance of it sliding and changing or twisting the bend radius. Just my out of the box thinking.

Horse stall mat or maybe gym flooring mat which has a nicer feel and texture would work. I've done quite a few of them and the look is OK.

Back