Meteorite?

I'm going to be starting a new folder this weekend and decided to have a couple of pieces of high nickel content meteorite roughly cut to size for bolsters. For those of you who have worked with the stuff, are there any special considerations that I should be aware of when cutting, shaping, grinding, sanding, finishing and sealing?

I only have experience with one set of metal bolsters which I made and used on my last folder (pictures below). Since they will be bolsters on the knife, I do not plan on doing anything special such as trying to heat treat. I will basically drill, countersink, grind, sand, re-etch and seal (to prevent rust) like I did for the Ponzio damascus bolsters seen on my last knife. I will be rounding them out more than seen on the folder below. I was hesitant to do it with this last knife since working Mammoth tooth is so sketchy. I was just happy to get it worked down on the belt sander nice and square and then hand sand the edges.

Anyway, I appreciate anyone who has thoughts on meteorite. I plan on pairing it up with some nice mammoth ivory I picked up from Charles Turnage.

By the way, I see Delbert is the moderator for this forum. Delbert, if you see this, it was nice chatting with you on the phone yesterday and I will be back in touch soon! -Chad

6984722625_03229efce7_b.jpg

6984725847_8590052d79_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back