Memory??????

In his famous novel, "Stranger is a Strange Land", Robert A. Heinlein said, "Man is the animal that laughs. We laugh because it hurts too much to cry."

My friend, Doug, is like a father to me. He was an adult Sunday school teacher at a church I belonged to for five years. He is a brilliant man, and a retired principal and school teacher. The pastors would go to him as well as send people to him with their questions. Doug stood in for my wife's father, who lives in the Philippines, at our wedding and gave her away in 2006.

Doug is in his mid-sixties and now has Alzheimer's. He is a shell of the man he was; forgetful, frightened, lost, confused, and sometimes combative. He is losing not only his wonderful mind, personality, and dignity, but his identity. He knows who I am, but thought my thirteen year old daughter was my wife on our last visit. It is heartbreaking. I would never laugh at Doug or tolerate anyone else doing so.

I have been in fear for my life before, but I have never been afraid of death. I have had over thirty surgeries in my life and still manage to have a sense of humor about it, as well as most other things, and enjoy life.

As a police officer or soldier, you see such unimaginable horrors, that you often develop a morbid Gallows Sense of Humor with nothing sacred. It doesn't so much make you callous, as keep you sane and human. Sometimes its hard to turn off and you can come across as a monster.

Sometimes its hard to turn off and you can come across as a monster.

Oh, I understand, believe me. The man I thought was indestructable died a few months ago. It shakes your faith.

But I also know how he lived, what he stood for, and what he would have said to me if I "wussed."

I'm not belittling anything Larry said or felt. My wife just buried her Dad, and she is heartbroken. But I also know he was a Marine, fought in the Pacific in WWII, and I know what he would have done to comfort her.

Much as I know she will mourn in my passing, I've told her not to, and that comes from the heart. I have lived on my own terms--fully knowing the consequences--since my early teens. I have not wanted to waste a moment. In fact, I'm a tad ticked now I cannot get my new Sporty until next Monday.

But that's the way it should be. We should be excited about the new day, not frightened by the horrid possibilities.

Carpe' carp. Seize the fish.

I don't need to be reminded of the horrors of life. I spent 14 months in Vietnam and still have trouble walking sometime because of the two bullets that went through my right hip.
I just think the remarks were in bad taste and hit home with me. Let's move on.

Larry, please accept my apology. Your discomfort was not my goal. So let's move on, indeed.

I have just read 3 pages of this thread. I have both laughed and felt saddened. Isn't this a great place where people can freely share such range of feelings and emotions. I personally am thankful for all of you!

Now what were we talking about???

Now what were we talking about???

Tail-fins on large American cars, don't you remember? Yikes, you interrupted three times to complain about their waste of chrome for your stainless alloys...

A wise fellow rider I know, famous for never owning a helmet, once opined, "Being popular is like being in a popularity contest."

I have come to understand his wisdom. There will always be controversy.

Having said that, I also believe that having trouble with your memory might make a great thread in this forum.

Larry, I did not mean to offend. I have a friend who is very dear to me going into the later stages. The gallows humor is how I deal with many things.

I'll be forty-six next week and notice my memory is not always so hot. I refer to it as Half-Timers.

Rock,you're a month and a half older than I am,so I just want to know,
are you at the point now (like I am),where you can pretty much hide your own
Easter eggs?huh1

hide your own Easter eggs?

Today I thought I lost my cell phone. I called myself from the land-line, and heard nothing in the house. However, when I went out into the garage to wipe down Betty, I found that my F-150 was informing me I had a message. No, I don't have blue-tooth. I just plugged my cell into a lighter socket--deliberately--and forgotten I had done so.

Fortunately I remembered it was my truck...

Back