Mc Master-carr 11 second oil question

busted knuckles

Any of you who use McMaster-carr 11 sec oil. what temp do you heat the oil too before you quench? I cant find any info on the Mc-car website.
Thanks all.

I would refer more to the established guidelines of the steel you are HTing as opposed to looking for a quenchant guideline.

I'm familiar with the steel I'm using but I'm trying a new quench oil. many quench oils work best at a temp in the 150f range and I'm looking for someone who can verify the best temp for the Mcmaster-carr 11 sec. quench oil.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
And thanks to anyone with info.

Well, I answered my own question. I just did a quench with the oil at 140f and it came out well, the edge skates a file at least.. I'll do an edge test in the next couple of days and post the results.

I use the M C 11 second on 1084 and 1084-15n20 damascus.I heat it to 120-130 deg and get very good results.
Stan

I called McMaster-Carr and, after getting transferred around the country on their phone system, was told that it is designed to be used at room temperature. I use it on O-1 and have a friend that uses it on 52100. We both use it at room temperature and it works great on these two deeper hardening steels.

I called McMaster-Carr and, after getting transferred around the country on their phone system, was told that it is designed to be used at room temperature. I use it on O-1 and have a friend that uses it on 52100. We both use it at room temperature and it works great on these two deeper hardening steels.

Thanks for that info.
I should be set up soon to try my first solo blade.

Thanks for doing the leg work Todd. It never occurred to me to call!
I've done a couple blades with it so far and I find it to be a good quench for deeper hardening steels. I tried it on 1095 and while the edge came out OK it wasn't as good as I can get with brine. for 1095 I'm going to try a 2 sec. quench in my brine solution and then into the Mc-carr to finish. I'm hoping this will reduce cracking while allowing max martinsite transformation. I'll report on the outcome.
I would like to find a source where I can get a fast quench oil in one or five gallon quantities. I've been trying to source houghto-quench 3440 but I cant afford 55 gallons of the stuff.

Back