Mayan eccentric chipped flint

bubba-san

I found some of these while cruising online . I just cant believe they chipped these without breaking them , they are ceromonial pieces , and grave offerings , unbelievable work. Wasnt sure where to post these you can move if you want ! Wild pieces. Oh By the way there was an article in the national geographic about some of theses flints .

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Mayan eccentrics. They represent the very pinnacle of flint knapping art.

I also am a big fan myself , its just amazing that it could even be accomplished . I have a small eccentric from my area , just amazes me , I knapp flint myself occasionally but, this work is just unbelievable , I dont know what else to say ??

I did a term paper for an art history class in collage on them. It was a long time ago though. I wish I could remember more. I think just the fact that they are primarily non-utilitarian says a lot. Evidently, they had some spare time… and were able to take flint knapping further than it had ever gone before, or probably ever will. I think there was a good lesson in "art" there somewhere.

I have been a member of Central states archeological society for 25 years , we used to spend every weekend searching old plowed fields near rivers and streams near St Lous , Mo I used to give seminars on flint ( chert) knapping when I wasnt looking for blades around old fields . Some of the greatest times in my life . I still have a large collection of points , blades knives spears pipes axes. Even though I dont look in the fieds much anymore I still read as much as I can . About the early cultures. I especially like the Archaic period with the large knives and points . The Mayan eccentrics were certainly art . arrowhead hunting as we called it , is still my favorite interest . I have posted a few on KD from time to time . Glad to meet someone who has like interest . take care Bubba-san

Back