Maxim DT-48 Quench oil is available!!!!

Kevin, I'm new to knife making and I think most of my blades are probably going to be larger fixed blades in 5160, 52100, 1095 or O-1...after reading your post, I was checking out the McMaster Carr site and they have 2 different quench oils...an 11 second and a 28 second....which would you recommend for these steels?....I'm assuming the 11 second....

Also, my mentor says he likes to quench in olive oil heated to about 120...he has been teaching me differential heat treating with it. I would like your input on the olive oil. I think his main reasons for using it is that it's reasonably priced and he says that it's a "clean" quench and doesn't leave much scale on the blade....I am just wanting to learn about as many aspects as I can...and possibly find a better quenchant than the olive oil....

I am also wanting to learn how to make those really gorgeous hamons like Don Fogg.....I know, I know, I dream BIG!..:60:....I have read his website...are there any other good tutorials about hamons?......My mentor hasn't delved into making hamons much......Thanks..

I hope I can help with the quench oils at least. In my experience, for what we do, an 11 Second oil is right on the borderline between a medium speed oil and a fast oil, a 28 second oil would definitely be a medium speed oil that would have rather limited applications (only very deep hardening alloys, just shy of air hardening). Fast oils are an odd beast in industry since industries answer has typically been to just develop or switch to an alloy capable of slower quenches rather than dealing with quench speeds approaching water. We bladesmiths however prefer our steels simple and old fashioned so we tend to go in the opposite direction and yearn for quenchants that approach water speeds for those steels. To us these rare fast quenchants that won't blow our blades apart are the Holy Grail.

I can't help much with the olive oil, except to say that it makes an excellent salad dressing or spiced dip for bread. But then it is a cooking oil, that is what it is for and so there are plenty of specific qualities that a entirely verifiable for that use, but there are no hard numbers to offer about it as a quench oil, just as there are no numbers to offer about salad dressing being used for and engine lubricant. Too often we look at features for a quenchant that appeals to us instead of paying attention to what the steel needs. You didn't do too badly though, at least you didn't give most common reason I hear for using olive oil, which is how pretty it makes the shop smell. One must never forget the metallurgical significance of the steels aroma in a quality knife. I am sorry if that sounds sarcastic, it is meant to lighten up a dry heavy topic, but I still cannot believe that people have given that reason and expect to be taken seriously.

Hamons really are no more of a mystery than a bit of trial an error to get everything adjusted just right for you own specific conditions. Quenchant, quench temperature, clay mix and its application, steel selection and its heating before quench are just a few of the variables to getting what you want. If you do get what you want it is important to lock in all the variables and stick precisely with that routine for what you want. This is where a good well designed quenchant is most valuable. If you use an alternative oil that is not formulated for consistent results frustration must follow in reproducing hamon effects as that oil changes chemically with every use, a good quench oil is specifically designed not to do that. Beware taking advice from water quenchers if you are using oil for hamons and vice versa. The clay application must be adjusted for the speed of the quench, closer to the edge with water and little further back with oil, and I would also recommend forgoing the thin clay wash with oil. The clay can be good old furnace cement, many will tell you to use Satanite, but I have done testing that showed readily available furnace cement much better for many applications. Satanite has the consistency of traditional Japanese clays and that is why I think it is so popular, but some of the best effects from oil I have seen were shaped with furnace cement. You will not get much sori with oil so do all of you shaping before the quench instead of leaving it straight and allowing the water quench to induce curvature, this has do with very subtle timing differences in the phases of steel that there are a few 1000th of a second difference from water to oil.

Thanks for the reply Kevin.
I got a chuckle out of the sarcasm.;)
Tomatoes Caprese is my favorite use for olive oil. :biggrin:
It has to be a good spanish olive oil for tomatoes caprese and bread dipping though...smooth and buttery with just a bit of a peppery bite at the end.....

I see a correlation here! ~insert light bulb turning on~
The right oil for the right application!!!:35:

I am considering getting some of the 11 second McMaster Carr and/or maybe some of the dt-48. I probably won't be trying swords any time soon so getting the curvature isn't on my list of priorities...yet anyways.

I lean more towards bowies, fighters and drop point hunters right now.

One concern I have is the flash point of these 2 oils.

The way my mentor is teaching me to quench is to enter the quenchant with the tip first and very quickly rock back towards the ricasso so that the tip, the edge and about 1/3 of the bottom of the blade is in the quenchant. Hold until all color has left the thickest part of the blade and then submerge completely.

Is this type of quenching with the McMaster Carr or the dt-48 going to result in the quechant igniting? I have read a couple of the replies that elude to this method of quenching being hazardous with certain quenchants due to the wicking effect and the still hot metal above the oil.

I also read in one of your older threads on another board that the Brownells Tough Quench is just Houghton "G" that they re-brand...this is another one that I am considering. Is edge quenching hazardous with this one?

If edge quenching is hazardous with these type of quenchant, what method would I have to use for it to be safe? Full, immediate, tip first immersion?

I looked at the tutorial for hamons over in the tutorial section but I can't see any of the pics in the thread for some reason. I see them in all the other threads though, not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for putting up with my questions Kevin. :eek:

Last edited:
Also I see the need and purpose for having a couple of different quenchants given the specific steel and type of knife/sword, but just starting out, this can be quite expensive. Not to mention having to build separate quench tanks for each different quenchant.

Right now I'm just using an electric skillet for a quench tank.
I know this probably makes you cringe but until I am able to somehow build a quench tank, it will have to do.:15:

Olive oil would be the best choice if you are edge quenching. Edge quenching is not only dangerous with a good quench oil, it will trash your investment in that good oil. The liquid does not burn, only the vapors burn, so if you get all the hot steel under the surface there will be no flashing. Parks #50 has a very low flash point but in my shop at home I never get flames because I get the entire blade under the surface. Edge quenching will almost insure flames on the oil at some point, this will heavily oxidize and soot it up and pretty much end its life as a reliable and consistent quenchant. The clay method will accomplish a full quench with the benefits of a hamon that is more attractive than edge quenching. I personally find claying to give far better results than edge quenching.

Kevin,
I am a little slow on the uptake, but are you saying that edge quenching into quench oil destroys the quench oil??

So if I plan on using the edge quench I am better off using Vet grade mineral oil and breaking out the McMaster Carr 11 second when I am totally quenching my 1084 and 5160??

or am I totally missing your point bro

and

I have read somewhere that you like the furnace cement instead of satanite...Or am I mistaken?

I have both (Rutlands I can get local) so i am curious about this as well

Back