marking knives

Toole, give us a bit more information on the method you are using to mark your balde and members can give you better advice. Are you stamping your blades of using a stencil and etching method?

I am using the stencil and etching method. I bought the etch-o -matic system but I can't seem to get a clean etch it comes out with my name vary dark but the steel around it is milky looking. I would would be most gratfull.
Toole

Did you have a stencil made or are you using the carbon paper that you make yourself? I use a different brand so I can't tell you what setting to use but, I set mine at less than half power and etch for 6 seconds then remove the pad for a few seconds then go back for 6 seconds more. I do that 3 or 4 times. However I am using a photo paper stencil which works better. After etching a quick rub with 12-1500 grit paper will clean up the surrounding area. Someone with a etch-o-matic system might be able to help you more. Roy

I started using the lectroetch LNC-3 etching solution and it helped me get a better mark. I also use the fine paper to clean up the mark when needed. Using good stencils is a must.

Craig

If you are using the carbon paper type stencil, you have to be very carefull with them or you will get burn through. I use them for serial numbers and other one time marks, and have found using a Q-tip with the etchant on it and clip the lead onto the damp end, and just use a dab dab dab method works prety well, if you use the pad, and hold it on for several seconds you will most likely have burn through, or a cloudiness around the mark. For etching your name or mark haveing a good stencil made is a must. I still use a stamp for my makers mark.
Dale

Back