Making a Wet Grinder

Diamond G Knives

Anyone ever used a belt grinder where the belt was kept wet?

Wanting to try and set one up, just looking to see if anyone has tried it before so Im not re inventing the wheel!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

The amazing, and I mean that sincerely, Brian Felhoeter (gee I hope that's the right spelling) can tell you all about that if he jumps in. Frank

I have personally used a grinding coolant on the belts when grinding for a few weeks on many blades and it made such a mess and worse got gunk collected on the flat platen,That gave chatter marks and on the back of the belts that I just stopped and went back to dry grinding.

It has been useful for some slack belt sharpening for very thin blades that heat build up was a critical issue.

May be others have had better long term results with wet belt grinding?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Here's a great video of Mick Strider showing his wet-grinding set-up.

[video=youtube;X0VO1qPRF7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VO1qPRF7E[/video]

I keep a spray bottle at my grinder and when I'm hollow grinding I use it to keep the belt wet.
I flat grind on my 9" disk grinder and use grease to keep things cool.

i do wet belt with fine silicon carbide belts, 320 grit or higher. i have a coffee can of water and a paint brush, wet the belt and off you go. when starts to look dry, either dip the blade or stop and paint belt with water. since i am getting ready for polish, i am usually only sanding blade for a minute or so. i try to do 3 or 4 blades at a time. when done with 320, then 600, then 800. covington engineering makes wet grinders for polishing stone, some use a sponge that touches the bottom of the belt, some use a pump and spray. will be trying my 8" disc grinder wet with 800 and 1000 grit discs.
make sure belts and discs say wet/dry.
the old sailor

Thanks guys, Im working on a gravity feed drip system, but going shopping tomarrow, really like the look of the flex sprayer in the video, Thanks for all the help!

God Bless
Mike

Back