makers mark poll

Which logo seems best? two votes max.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bummer Ted - I'd have to try a battery charger just to test the stencil and see how it works.
just discovered my battery charger is dead also...

how long does it take to etch a blade....(the very first question I shoulda asked...)

I watched Ernie Grospictch videos on his website. He uses a AC/DC power supply and he said do it for 5 seconds 3 or 4 times.

http://www.erniesknives.com/default.html

This is his web site. Check out his video. This is where I'm gonna get my stencils done. Lots of info on his site real nice guy too!

At 20 vdc I etch for about a count of 20, then a count of 10 for the AC side. With 12vdc I'd expect it to take a bit longer, perhaps 30 seconds? Only way to tell is to try it. Bummer on battery charger dead. Any 12vdc battery laying around? Lawn mower? or maybe up there, snow blower? {g}

The way I do it and if I can find a video of the guy I seen I will share it. Bt i spray the blade with windex and tape my stencil down and swipe across my stencil with the pad I probably do it 15-20 swipes. Ihave found this to give me a cleaner etch and less likely to burn my stencil.

Thanks guys! Would love to see that video Justin!

I used a wimpy little 12 volt power supply for so gadget that I already tossed...(don't know what it was lol)....and got terrible results! But it took me me almost 10 minutes of dinking around to get my lousy results.....thus the time question. if it's a minute or two...and not another 1/2 hour of blade sanding...i'm in. otherwise stamp time. (I think I could build one out of A2...but making stencils is SO much easier!

Bummer on the poor results, but you are not using a blade to test with are you? I'm sure you're using a bit of scrape metal? Did you use the template you made yesterday to try the etch with? If so, then you know there are places in it that's going to be bad, but also places that might etch good. Did the 110 thread count give problems?

Bummer on the poor results, but you are not using a blade to test with are you? I'm sure you're using a bit of scrape metal? Did you use the template you made yesterday to try the etch with? If so, then you know there are places in it that's going to be bad, but also places that might etch good. Did the 110 thread count give problems?
I did test on un-heat treated blade steel...I am making MUCH better stencils...improved by longer exposure and more careful cleaning of the stencil.I am exposing for ten minutes indoors and cleaning with an artists paintbrush.

Looking forward to trying that 110 thread count myself. Good luck - what do you think is the issue on etching problems now?

Looking forward to trying that 110 thread count myself. Good luck - what do you think is the issue on etching problems now?
Probably the power supply...my stencils are much cleaner than before. I think my wife sent out those stencils...looking forward to a more qualified feed back. I am going to get the 200 thread count stencil material...I do think it may be coming into play...but not sure.

Would this little doohickey work for just marking the blade (no etch of course)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LNNNHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A15YVG09ZLVD1Q&psc=1

or this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ALUBS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

Last edited:
Here's why I ask....

I can find cheap DC power supplies with 5amp 30volt adjust-ability (means nothing to me..using numbers from some o' you guys)

I can find cheap ac to ac power supply's.

very hard to find them combined and never with high enough voltage.

I do not want to wire up my own gizmo from scratch.....can I do this instead? It's simple...does not require opening anything up and I already have switches and cable....So I'll have to have both plugged in to use but it will allow me to etch and mark with out having to switch clamps/cables. Kinda using the toggle switch "backwards" but it shouldn't know the difference? What do you all think?
etcher drawing.jpg

Two words "Train Transformer", you can put a double pole double throw center off switch in and your done. Super cheap, cost me 12 bucks from Ebay and I have variable DC voltage for the etch. But the setup your showing should work just not sure what kind of switch you have in your sketch?

Last edited:
Two words "Train Transformer", you can put a double pole double throw center off switch in and your done. Super cheap, cost me 12 bucks from Ebay and I have variable DC voltage for the etch. But the setup your showing should work just not sure what kind of switch you have in your sketch?

That has an AC side also so you should be able to etch AND mark(darken)?

Ted, it's really hard to tell about those two AC supplies - it really depends on what voltage they are. One 12 VAC supply I looked says max voltage is 11.7 vac which is really a tad on the low side. The 24 vac is "almost" on the high side due to putting too much heat on the stencil..... but might work just right. Unless you're just wanting that $50 to $80 DC power supply, why not use a manual battery charger? $24 shipped from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IBJBM/ - Should work like a champ - and if the DC isn't pure enough, we'll put a filter capacitor across the output. It will be easy to open the case and solder (or wire twist) a couple of wires on the transformer output to bring the AC out.

Now, with all that said, I'm "ass-u-me'ing" that manual charger will have a linear transformer rather than a switcher system. Typically switchers would be computer controlled, not listed as manual. With the charger you've also got a battery charger if you happen to need one. I'm always needing a battery charger for varies reasons.

Two words "Train Transformer"

Boy did you hit the nail on the head - those are GREAT sources..... forget the battery charger and everything else, focus on Train Transformer!

OK, that train t'former looks interesting. take a look at this ebay offering: https://goo.gl/4LjJPw

It's got 19 vac and 16 vdc - got both sides covered. It's only 7VA, which would only be around 1/2 amp, but I think that would work just fine, especially by dragging across the stencil as shown above, should work just fine.... and that's $20 shipped!

This one: https://goo.gl/4ntxB2 is $25 shipped and is 13VA. It's 14vdc and 18 VAC - I think I like the first one because the voltage is a tad higher, and these ARE adjustable output.

This one is about perfect, It's an old unit, but as long as it works {g} https://goo.gl/EtsALa for $22 shipped and is 16vdc and 18 vac, and 18 VA

Even better: https://goo.gl/pCJkqc but bidding is over in 1 hr 20 minutes

Last edited:
I think you did good - I'd never even considered train transformers - didn't know anything about them. I've built a few etchers in the past, usually just grab up some stuff laying around and put it together. I'm sure you noticed the AC and DC are on separate terminals, so you'll need to add that DPDT switch you drew up (and have on hand). Just mount in box and wire to only one set of switches. Do remember, the positive wire on the DC side goes to the blade to be etched. On AC it doesn't matter.

If I can help any, just give me a phone call - I think you've got my number.

After you wire it up with the DPDT center off switch if you don't have the polarity correct on the DC Etch, all you have to do is flip the direction switch that will reverse the polarity and correct the leads to the knife.

07.....this tip....Two words "Train Transformer".... moves you from 07 to 007!

Guys I think this should work good! Thanks for all the patience! I don't know about the AC current but the dc is adjustable...and yes, all I should have to do is run all four wires to the switch and then switch back and forth for etch or mark.

Because that unit looked like NEW old stock I just hit buy it now...$35 to buy it and get it here....I could do cheaper but Christmas is coming....lol...and I got some blades to mark.

I've seen at least two youtubes that show guys only doing marking...the look is perfect but maybe no depth?

Last edited:
Back