Magazine photos

Travis Fry

"The best bang for the buck for a knifemaker (in my opinion) is to routinely send high quality photos into the major magazines"
- Ed Caffrey

I saw this quote in another post and decided it needed a thread of its own. What magazines (I'm not very conversant on appropriate knife related publications)? How do you get connected? Do you just send photos unsolicited? What kind of photos are they looking for? How does this all work?!

I've got a few (a very few!) knives that may be magazine worthy with hopefully more to come, and always wondered how they'd ever find me. I have no qualms about self promotion. In many ways that seems like the name of the game in the knife making world, but I don't like wasting time on fruitless pursuits. Any suggestions or feedback about 1) how to get top quality knives published in some of the magazines and 2) advantages and disadvantages of doing so would be welcome.

Hey Travis!

The key is HIGH QUALITY photos. It's become much easier over the last several years, as all the magazines have gone to digital images. In "the old days" a maker would have to send the knife off to a photographer, pay for shipping both ways, wait on the knife and the photos, and pay a pretty hefty price for most photos. The key for makers is to learn how to take your own photos! As with anything we do/learn, it will take investing in a good camera, learning/setting up the lighting, and then learning how to bring it all together to take those high quality photos. The payoff is that the expense of photos is cut dramatically, no more mailing and waiting, and you can have a finished knife up on your website, or sent into the magazines literally, the same day it's completed.

We live in a world today where some are tech-savvy, and some are not. By that I mean that we often spend all our time/efforts focusing on the web, but there is still a segment of knife buyers who don't do the internet....this is where the magazines come into play. For years we have stayed in our little "box", by only sending photos to "Knife" publications. There is a whole wide world of publications out there......from gun magazines, to cooking. If you make a knife that applies to a genre, send them photos!

Sometimes the most difficult part is locating/finding the proper folks to send photos to. In many cases I simple find the email address of the Editor of whatever magazine(s) I think might be interested, and will "cold" send them some photos, with my biography and descriptions. This has gotten me print in some places you'd never think it would.....like The Wall Street Journal, Handyman magazine, several cooking/culinary magazines, and some others that you'd never think about for custom knives.

OK, what about those who either can't or don't want to take their own photos? Well, the first thing is to look through the knife pubs, and see which photographer has the most pictures in the magazine(s) (they will always print the photo credits)....and use that photographer. Why? Historically, those photographers have built a reputation for quality photos, and the magazines will often see who took the photo(s), and be interested in using them. Likewise, if the photographer is somebody who's name the magazines are not familiar with, they will often pass over the photo(s) without even looking at them.

This is also something that isn't "for sure", and may take some time. Before I ever got my first knife photo published, I had others doing my photography, and sent pics in for about 1 1/2 years. Once the ice was broken, I could count on having one of my knives in a magazine at least every other month. This opened the door when I made the transition to taking my own photos, because the magazines recognized my name, and would take a closer look at the photos I would send in.
Fast forward to today......although I have been lax about sending photos for the last year of so, I am now back at it. I think each individual needs to decide what's right for them, but I have resolved to send in photos to all the major cutlery magazines at least once a month. I'm now doing it by email, which means all I have to do is take quality photos, in the highest resolution possible, and then email them to whatever magazines I choose. It takes about 10 mins of my time to describe the images and send off the emails. I never know when or if they will be published, but it's an opprotunity that I would otherwise not realize.
Very often in our type of business, we are required to "self promote". Some folks are not comfortable doing that, and others are OK with it.....at first I was very uncomfortable with it, because I saw it as "tooting my own horn".....but over time I came to realize that if I just sat back and hoped I'd get noticed, it would likely never come. It's only one small facet of promoting your knives, but it's a vital part. It really all weaves together.....going to major shows, sending in photos, participating in forums, and even talking on the phone with clients and other makers. All of these things make you, and ultimately your knives known and recognizable.

High quality photos of your work, a mug shot, and a 50 word write up telling a little about yourself. Just read some of what the guys are saying about themselves in the spotlights and make your own. Send it to every publication editor you can get an email for. The only way they will know what you are making is for you to send them photos of you and your work. Don't be scared to send them a pic a week. the higher the quality of the photo the better. These guys are really into knives and really like getting new pics of new work. The very first knife photo I sent in to Blade Magazine was put into the spotlight section in the issue that came out in May of this year. I was extremely surprised. I also sent in another picture and was placed into the Whats New section of the issue that came out this month. Send send send send........you pictures in!!! You have to make yourself known to these people of they will never know who you are and what kind of work you are doing. Travis I have seen your work and it is better than some of the stuff that is in some of those magazines!!!

Back