Looking to start knifemaking

Kikai

Ok I'm looking to begin knife making as a hobby. I'd like to start out making small fixed blades with the stock removal method. I'll be getting a 2x42 grinder from sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921513000P?prdNo=3 but that will be down the line after I learn filework.

I would like recommendations for other basic tools needed to get started. (I/e files as in shape cut etc. drills and required bits) I was looking at craftsman since they replace them for free but I have no clue what cuts or bits I need. Also any other simple tools I should get (assume an empty shed with a workbench clamps and sandpaper)

Steel I was looking at working with was 154-cm or 440c and i'd be making smaller fixed knifes if that helps.

I'd like to keep my budget for hand tools under $150 but will break that if you guys deem it necessary.

Thanks in advance.

I'm very new to knife making but I have the same grinder it definitely will do the job but it's rpm is fast for the work you want to do it heats up the steel really fast and if you bump the belt it can mess your work up quickly kind of frustrating I'm looking at making a no weld grinder with a pulley to have adjustments on the speed. Hope that helps good luck I absolutely love knife making as a hobby so many thing you can do

welcome to KD, and I hope your ready for the wild ride your starting.

you can make some great blades with some pretty simple tools and a lot of elbo grease.

looking at your list of tools I'd recommend you put a small drill press at the top of your list. it will pull double duty drilling holes and then you can put a sanding drum in it and use it for some basic finishing of things like finger holds and handle scales. get some better drill bits and a couple of good files. don't forget a round file.

If your just starting out I'd recommend you don't use 440c or 154. both are great steels but require some experience and a heat treat oven or your going to have to send them out for heat treating. I'd recommend starting with something like a 1075 or a 1080. both are cheap to start with and can easily be heat treated at home with very basic tools.

have fun and ask a lot of questions after you use the search buttom... the guys here are pretty good about giving out help.

might want to add a first name and a basic location to your profile so we can get to know you. there might even be another knife maker close to help you out.

Erik

I would recommend 3 round chainsaw files. Starting with a 5/32 and going up to just under a 1/4". A good 1.5 to 2" wide bas-tard file. A medium size triangle file is also nice to have starting out.

I was given that same grinder as a gift by my mother after I had gotten my 2x72, I use it to true up handle materials. Works nice for that. Also for general sanding of other projects.

I second the need for a small drill press. It will make your life a lot easier, not to mention your work will look better.

Welcome to KD and a world of fun!

Back