Looking for Identification of this wood

Sean Jones

My stepson picked out this wood for his knife that I'm working on. And I have no clue what it is. It's quite light and iridescent when buffed. I was originally thinking Koa but as light as it is I'm thinking otherwise. Opinions?

According to several on the other forum it is Koa. So that's what I'm going to go with unless I find out different.

That is a very hard decision. The front looks way different than the back. Maybe koa as you have stated. I was think some sort of dyed maple if it has been stabilized. Very difficult...

That is a very hard decision. The front looks way different than the back. Maybe koa as you have stated. I was think some sort of dyed maple if it has been stabilized. Very difficult...
I don't believe it's stabilized. It's to light for that. He'll be happy whether it's Koa or something else. But I'll keep what you've said in mind. In any event I'll post when I have the knife finished. Which at the rate I'm going could be another month. :oops:

Ben contacted me this morning and he is saying his best guess is Koa. He does have some great wood. I'll have to get some wood from him the next time.

I'm a little late to this party but I have some Brazilion Cherry that exhibits those grain characteristics and the same chatoyance that I see here. just a thought.

Wallace

Back