Looking for good supply/supplier of Australian Red Malee burl.

Travis Fry

A long time ago I got some red mallee and decided after one knife that it was my favorite handle material, except maybe African blackwood and ivory. It's terribly hard, finishes easily, and is flat out stunning. I've been busy with other stuff and haven't pursued it, but now I'm thinking I want to sock away a good supply of red mallee blocks and scales. And maybe some york gum too. In fact, I really like a lot of the Aussie stuff.

Does anyone know who has good quality pieces of this stuff for decent prices?

Come join the Australian Blade Forum :D There is at least one timber guy on there. You might find someone willing to swap for some US materials. I don't use much wood myself. Have you tried ringed Gidgee?

Alistair

Come join the Australian Blade Forum :D There is at least one timber guy on there. You might find someone willing to swap for some US materials. I don't use much wood myself. Have you tried ringed Gidgee?

Alistair

Ringed Gidgee is one that just doesn't get the justice it deserves through pictures alone. Hold it in hand and see the chatoyance.....

I'm a Aussie , i live on the edge of the outback , so get most of my burls myself , or have the local Koori folks spot em for me and i look after em .. but for stuff i cant get as it aint local or real special i have a couple contacts but the best bloke here is Turning Timbers on Aussie blade forums or ebay

http://stores.ebay.com.au/turningtimbers/

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I've been away from the internet for a few days and am just now getting back to this. I appreciate all of your help.

Back