Looking for advice to make one of these.

snowbeast

Hi Knife Dogs,

I have spotted one of these on Fakebook and am keen to try this out.

8bc09863a7c630d042dbdc5861435f76.jpg

I have a couple extra spanners ranging from Gedore to hardware store specials.
How do I test the spanner to see if the metal is worth working on and secondly, to get the blade would it be better to forge it or grind it like the stock removal method.
I want to make a novelty knife for my dad to keep in the landrover.

Kind regards,

Bruce

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

The ones in the photo you posted are obviously made via stock removal. Wrenches are made out of many different alloy steels.... beyond guessing, you'll just have to experiment and find out if the one(s) you choose to use will harden or not.

The wise one has shared his opine and view on your endeavor.
You could try the spark test on the open ends of the wrenches and see if they produce some flowers. As far as hardening try cutting the open ends off an using them to test harden?

Great advice given above. I'll just add this: Stay away from the dollar store wrenches that only cost a couple dollars. Higher quality (though higher priced) wrenches have much better materials and are much more quality controlled as far as alloys and such are concerned. You'll have a better chance with quality.

Thank you for the advice. Found the older ones seem to be made of the same metal the whole way through.
This should be fun.

Back