Looking for advice on using folder pivot bearings.

RandyR

KNIFE MAKER
I am in the process of designing my first flipper style folder. I have built lockbacks and a couple of liner locks so I do have some (limited) experience in building folders. However, I would like to use thrust bearings such as those sold by Tracy and and AKS. I believe I understand basically how they are to be used but I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate some input on from those that have used them.

First, it is clear they need to placed into a counterbore or the gap between sides and blade would be too large. Do you just use a typical piloted counterbore to do that task? Do you counterbore the blade and sides or just sides? Does the counterbore leave a good enough finish to not cause roughness in feel?
Second, I am concerned that the hardened balls or rollers would cause pretty high wear in softer materials such as titanium. I would not expect it on the hardened blade. Has anyone experienced issues with high wear requiring constant pivot adjustments? Has anyone used hardened washers to rest between the balls and softer material?
Last, due to the relative deep bore required, is application of these bearings best on framelocks where the frame is thick enough to support such an approach?

I do apologize if this information is available somewhere. I have looked and can't find much definitive data. There is a lot about them but not much on using them.
Thanks,
Randy

Back