Looking for a gas forge Already built and ready to go?

ome

Hi Guys,
I am new to knifemaking , but am learning fast, I am looking for a really well made gas forge that gets hot enough to work with damascus and maybe try some forge welding.
This is where I want an easy relining option.
Some like the chile forges, some say that the firebrick walls are always falling down.
Then the forges with the insulated material that is sprayed or painted with a refractory coating?
Not interested in messing up a new forge with boiling flux , and have to reline it using the kaowool and other coatings.
The general consensus seems to be a round forge for single knives is best.
But all the round forges seem to be alot of work to reline, unless the answer is to get two gas forges.
One for knife HT AND some forming and the other for forge welding and maybe some damascus with enough space for a billet in the forge.
So, any advice as to which forge for my different interests, might I consider.
Thanks,
Jon

Two forges is the way to go. A venturi burner based one for general forging and a blower burner one for forge wielding (Damascus). Will save you fuel and time that way. My general forge is based on a two brick forge in a steel box mounted on a pole stand. Runs at 3-4 psi for general forging. Building a vertical, blower based one, for forge wielding. Kaowool in route to me from USKnifemaker.com as I write this. Fairly easy to build one. Just search the internet for info.

Check out my tutorial at [h=3]Build A Gas Forge[/h]
This is a easy to build forge and the Kast-0-=Llite is flux resistant. If you have flux dripping onto the floor of the forge you are using to much flux. Do a search here and on the web for fluxless welding or welding without flux of dry welding.

Thank you very much for your advice, I definitely need a Turn key gas forge.
i just want to get a well thought out and well built product that does what it is supposed to do.
Jon

I started out as a farrier, so I have a NC Forge Whisper Momma. From experience it will get hot enough to forge weld, HOWEVER, I have never tried to forge Damascus with it. Reline kits are available and fairly easy to install, but a little pricey. NC also makes several different models with end ports and various sizes. Cliff Carroll (Horseshoers Supply in Larkspur, CO) also has a good product.

Just my thoughts based the experiences I've had.

Back