Look Ma, No Pins!

Jason Wilder

I decided to challenge myself to create a handle with no visible pins and this is what I came up with

20120703_110000.jpg

20120703_110215.jpg

Of course, it has pins - 7 of them: Two in each bolster and three 1/8" pins hidden 1/8" deep in the Jade G11. With the mitered (dovetail) bolsters, this handle will stay put for several lifetimes.

The blade is 8" of differentially tempered 3/32 O1.
It has a flat grind with the last 1/8" being convex grind. Then I'll finish sharpening with a V-edge. Right now, the unsharpened edge is at .007

I thought it might be a bit heavy since it has so much stainless hardware, but it weighs in at 10oz, which I think is manageable. The balance point is right at the front bolsters.

There are two areas of concern with this knife:
One is the small area of G11 near the front bolster that is discolored. I'm not sure if I hit it while peening, or what I did. It is not that noticeable, but I know it's there.

The other is the blade finish. I gave it a 600 grit hand rubbed finish before a dunk in FCL and I just can't seem to get a good uniform finish. I know part of it is due to the differential temper, but other than that, I can't figure out why it is so splotchy. It was super clean before I etched it. I'm wondering if my HT may have affected it.

I decided to try something different with the HT. I gave it a dunk in P50 then quickly put it between two ice cold plates of AL until cool. My RC tester says it is between 60-65, which is what I want since I tempered it at 400, but I just wonder if the plates made it cool unevenly?

Overall I am very pleased with the way it turned out, but I need to figure out how to have a better etched finish.

I really like that look , kind of retro looking . Reminds me of vintage case canoe . ouchama gouchama . nice one ........

I shaped the front bolsters first, then the scales then the rear bolsters. When assembling I had to put the scales on first since there was no way to get them under the dovetails with the hidden pins.

Jason,

Nice looking Blade! I agree with Bubba San that it has a great Retro style type look.
I wouldn't worry about the discolor on the handle scales. It gives it character!

Keep your nose to that GrindStone!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Very good looking chefs knife!
On the finish, Ive started going to 600 gri on the machine then going to green scotch brite. My thoughts on this is that it gives a nice satin finish that is easily replicated in the kitchen. No idea on the heat effected zone pattern, as I dont use quench plates. Is ther any definable line? Somtimes, right out of the FC the edge has a much darker build up, but once cleaned off it isnt very visible. Still a great looking piece that will make some cook very happy!

God Bless
Mike

Back