Long time since a post, here goes, O1 custom bushcraft knife

Hello all, I have a client whos interested in a custom knife combining two of my designs, and he wants to have it forged from O1 steel, I told him i would try, im thinking of a low red to get the hammer marks and then material loss to do the bevels, the main edge is going to be a double bevel, convex and the bottom a regular flat grind and part of it is a shaving edge he would like a chisel edge so he can use it left handed, any advice? I am attaching a rough sketch,the dimensions are 12 inches long, 1 1/2 - 3/4 at the widest, and im a novice, I have only made a few quick knives that my dad used for awhile and lost over the years LOL

11166104_849164131798505_1742214490_n.jpg

Hi Kuro- I personally would dispense with the compound grind, unless was a deal breaker for the customer. On the handle I would straighten out the dip in the top forward area and lessen the curve at the bottom of the guard and bottom of the butt. Everyone has a different eye for what is right and that is what makes it your design- just suggestions.

this is the third design i sent him,he wanted more of a ramp on top for his thumb, I agree with you tho, but over all do you think its a decent design? I was thinking a convex edge for chopping, if he needed too

Its not my time of knife over all
It has So many uses that i don't think it would do any of them very well. I know there is a current wave of this kind of stuff. How about sending him a nice 7" bladed Bowie knife pattern if he wants an outdoors & chopper knife? JMHO.

Back