Long plunge lines

Tony Manifold

How do you all get such long plunge lines. I find that I get very short bevels when I flat grind. For example a 20º angle on a 1/8 steel only gives a bevel 3/8 or so up the blade. My stock is 1 1/4 so basically I have almost an inch with no bevel and that just seems wrong.

When doing your grind try to maintain a 5 degree , working to the center line you have scribed down the cutting edge , watch that you keep a even bevel on both sides . You should end with .015 -.020 final edge , this is where you will grind your final 20 degree sharpening bevel.

I do a full flat primary grind and don't get fussed about what the angle the grind is. I just run the bevel from the spine to an edge about the thickness of a dime or a little less grinding in the plunge lines as I go. Whatever angle that it is is the angle that it is. After hardening I grind in the cutting edge of whatever degree I think is appropriate for the intended use, 20° is a good utilitarian angle though.

Doug

When doing flat grinding you can pretty much go as high as you want with the bevel.
I dont measure angles, just scribe center line, break the esge with old belt at bout 45 degree angle, sometimes i increase it since i still eont have a very good handle on this then i mark a line tht will be the height of the bevel and grind till i reach it

Keep in mind this process is generally done before and after heat treatment (depending on steel and the heat treatment skill you can grind to your end measurement or leave a lot of room for error)

What might help you is creat several lines along the sides of the knife (different bevel heights) they will help guide you

Back