Lock back build,not a WIP.

Looks like you salvaged everything but the mammoth ivory. I found interesting a man of your experience and knowledge peened the center pivot too tight for backspring to work. I guess I don't have to feel too bad for doing the same thing on a slipjoint. Too tight sure will make the section of backspring just front of pin bind causing blade to be hard to open. OR - that's what I think was happening to my knife.

Calvin - I'm getting ready to try your bronze washers this weekend on a test setup using mild steel liners just for testing and a blade to check how well it works for me keeping the blade turning freely, while not having any sideways movement.

Keep up the great work - I keep learning from your threads.

Ken H>

Looks good Calvin! I am glad you got it worked out.

I have a box for cracked ivory, it seems to get something new every once in a while.

Craig

Great recovery, my first one has been on the bench waiting for final assembly but I just can't get myself to complete it, fear I guess.

Wow, the finished product turned out great! I sure hate you lost that Ivory as it was coming out beautiful!!!

It is a sickening feeling when you suddenly realize that piece you have been pouring heart and soul into just is not gonna be! Real nice re-use of what you could.

Now you are making me that much more nervous for trying one. Cause if you had problems, I will have a disaster!!! This has been very informative.

Somewhere in the shop is the prototype for one I started a long time ago. Soon I have to go dig it out and start trying to figure out why I laid it aside way back when!!!

Great looking knife Calvin, it all came together in the end. Powering through to the end separates the Pros from the rest of us

Looks like you salvaged everything but the mammoth ivory. I found interesting a man of your experience and knowledge peened the center pivot too tight for backspring to work. I guess I don't have to feel too bad for doing the same thing on a slipjoint. Too tight sure will make the section of backspring just front of pin bind causing blade to be hard to open. OR - that's what I think was happening to my knife.

Calvin - I'm getting ready to try your bronze washers this weekend on a test setup using mild steel liners just for testing and a blade to check how well it works for me keeping the blade turning freely, while not having any sideways movement.

Keep up the great work - I keep learning from your threads.

Ken H>

Ken,
I only salvaged the internal parts,spring/spacer,lockbar,blade and washers,I had to make new integral bolster/liners/caps.
Gayle Bradley told me a long time ago that if your going to make folders your going to have to learn how to repair folders. This isn't the first one I've messed up and probably won't be the last.
On a Slipjoint you shouldn't bind the spring up by peening the center pin too much unless the spring is thicker than your blade or bent.
The washers will work fine,the only thing different about using them is that your spring must be as thick as your blade plus the washers,unlike a typical Slipjoint where your spring and blade are the same thickness.

Calvin

Back